Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
michaeldfv
NC
2003 Sport XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Exclamation Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch.

Hey, the handle for the back door on my 2003 explorer sport xlt is not opening my door at all. you can still pull it and it springs right back like its supposed to but I can tell that its just not catching on anything. I need to fix this problem. I cant even get my spare down without opening the back door. If anyone has any advice or solutions PLEASE let me know.
michaeldfv is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
welcome and that sux bout ur broken back door handle

Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
msilver
St. Joseph Il. Carbondale Il.
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

have u tried taking off the panel to see whats going on in there? maybe it came unhooked

camo trim on the outside, camo interior
4 sale at the right price
msilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
michaeldfv
NC
2003 Sport XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I've already thought about taking the door panel off but the thing is, I have to open the door to do that, and right now i dont know how open the door
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Your door won't release from the inside or the outside (both handles don't work)?
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
michaeldfv
NC
2003 Sport XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
there is no handle inside the door, only on the outside
Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
I was thinking of a 4 door model. You have the sport. I will change the title to say: Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
cjryan
CA
2000 XL 4.0 OHV 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I have the same problem. The newer style hatch on the 2nd gens. One day when I went to open the rear hatch the plastic mechanism broke. Now the handle is loose and doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?
cjryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You don't need to open the tailgate to remove the trim panel. It certainly makes the job easier, but it's not necessary. Flip the seats down so you have some space to work... Two screws in the grab handle, one screw next to the window latch (speaking of which, does the window open? If not you'll have to 'modify' the plastic a bit), pop the trim off around the top and sides of the window, pull up on the panel and it's off. The back window will need to be open, but if it won't unlock either, you'll have to get it loose, then cut/break the bottom where it hooks under the window latch to get it out of the way.

Once inside, I suspect you'll find either a link that came loose, busted plastic clip, or the actuator isn't moving all the way to unlock the tailgate.

Good luck!

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
FordExploderXlt
Ohio
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

i dont have that problem but on the inside the handle is rusted badly so i cut a hole on the inside so u can just pull the bar back and forth if it gets stuck would probaly work same for u and if u gotta replace the handle good luck cuz mine is stuck on there cuz i cant find a way to get to the 2nd bolt and the 1st 1 is rusted on
FordExploderXlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #11
bairdp
Pacifica, California
03 Sport XLT

Vehicle Specs

Many Thanks

Rear door latch stopped operating. I read gijoecam's post and tried it today. Hard to tear into the inside door panel but, opened the window, removed the inside pull strap and from inside the truck, pried the inside door cover clips off starting with the window top and working down each side, lifted the panel up to clear the lower panel fasteners. Then carefully removed the glued plastic cover from the door. Found the link rod between the handle and release mechanism hanging loose. The plastic nut on the back of the linkage clip on the door handle had broken off and the clip had twisted enough to open and release the linkage. With no drawing to follow it was a challange to figure how the linkage was supposed to work but straightened the clip put the linkage in and closed it. Worried that the clip might come loose again I screwed a 3/8" stainless steel sheet metal screw with washer into the open end of the clip mounting tube and buttoned it all up. You guys are the greatest.
bairdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Papia77
2003 sport

Vehicle Specs

Were u able to get the panel off without breaking any of the clips?
Papia77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #13
bairdp
Pacifica, California
03 Sport XLT

Vehicle Specs

clips

Yes, the repair was a success completely. By paying attention the direction of the clip as you pry it out you can remove the panel with no breaks. It's delicate work but possible with some care. beb
bairdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Papia77
2003 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdp View Post
Yes, the repair was a success completely. By paying attention the direction of the clip as you pry it out you can remove the panel with no breaks. It's delicate work but possible with some care. beb
Wish me luck.
Papia77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
2003, broken, door, explorer, xlt

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page