Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Rear Main Seal Leak on 96 Explorer XLT

Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
South Jersey
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Rear Main Seal Leak on 96 Explorer XLT

Hi Folks,
Been noticing oil on the driveway in the morning, Had the truck to my mechanic and today he advised me the leak is coming from the rear main seal. HE said the only way to fix it is to take the engine and transmission out . Im a little upset because I just had it in the shop as I had 2 new cylender heads installed, head gasket and water pump.
Mechanic advised me its perfectly safe to run however but i would just have to keep check oil levels etc. Has anyone had similar issues? Id so, what did you guys do?
Thanks for your help....
96 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
yellow coupe
East Tn.
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

I have dealt with a lot of rear main seal leaks. To put a new seal in you either have to pull the engine or the transmission to get to it. I have a rear main seal leak on my Mountaineer also. Just keep a check on the oil level. It would have to be leaking pretty bad before I would put a new seal in.
yellow coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
South Jersey
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks,
96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
bluestream1
Waterloo Ontario
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Try some of the high mileage 10w30 oils. They have seal swell additives that may help the leak. These oil are made from a high quality base oil and have a more robust addative package so they are acyuallt better oils

Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Rear mail sealer

I had a very slow rear main seal leak when I purchased my Sport last year with 150,000 miles on the odometer. There are a few manufacturers of engine oil additives that are supposed to reduce/eliminate main seal leaks. I tried one of the them for several months before switching to synthetic oil and it seemed to reduce the leak. However, the leak resumed with the synthetic. When my rear timing chain guide failed I decided to pull the engine and fix it and the rear main. When I removed the valve covers I found an excessive amount of sludge. I don't know the maintenance history of my vehicle but I can't help but wonder if some of the sludge was due to the leak reducer.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
bluestream1
Waterloo Ontario
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
StreetRod, not likely the seal swell additive caused the sludge, and if you only used it for a few months, it would not have done a thing. There is too little of it in the oil to make a difference. More likley the sludge is from using conventional oil and long OCI. Poor mantainence practices in other words...

Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
cruz38
HEB. Texas area
1996 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Oci?

I think its incorrect to say that the leak is could be caused by poor or irregular maintenance.. I changed my oil every 3000 miles from the day I bought it and I have this same leak..
Just wear and tear and mileage....is my opinion.

Cruz
cruz38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
marragtop
balt, md
91 xlt, 92 xlt, 95 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Made sure the PCV valve isn't stuck. That can cause the oil to seep at the rear seal. It's worth a shot.

'95 Explorer XLT 4x4
If it don't = 16 (4x4), it ain't worth driving...
marragtop is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page