Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
lol
A neighbor kid has mud truck for sale and it had this old Warn winch on it. I mentioned I was interested in it to his grandpa the other day and he came knocking today.

I told him I was willing to offer 50 bux for it, and he said "well actually I have 4 burned out light bulbs on my truck"

So, I changed the 2 tail lights and front marker lights on his Dodge truck and he handed me this. I have about 45 minutes of my time in it so far.

Did I get ripped off? Is this worth restoring? The motor runs---

Hopefully the solenoids work
It has no hand control but I reckon one could be made or acquired?

I'd also like to convert it to a synthetic line ---

Of course I would powdercoat the case a pretty color. :D

Pictures001.jpg

Pictures002.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you'll have your hands full. What is the mounting pattern on it? If its the same as the newer Warns then I would go for it. Is it all there? I don't see how it mounts on the other side of the drum...

hmm clean it up, powder it up, make sure it works, and put it on,

nice score! i believe thats a warn 8724. a very good winch. check out jeepswag.com thats where i just picked up some syn rope. real low prices. i planned on doing a write up on it later.
also db electrical has some good deals on solenoid packs

nice score! i believe thats a warn 8724. a very good winch. check out jeepswag.com thats where i just picked up some syn rope. real low prices. i planned on doing a write up on it later.
also db electrical has some good deals on solenoid packs

By golly I think you are right
It has part number 8631 stamped in it but the label was painted over.

The knob pulls out for free spooling.
I think it mounts from the front.

If you want it to be a great winch, reaplace the old motor with one from the newer 8274-50, buy some new solenoids, some synthetic line, and powder coat it all purty. Should be able to get all the rebuild parts for $500 or $600... Not bad considering the new 8274-50 is worth about $1800...

They rebuilt one on Xtreme 4x4. cheaper than a new winch for sure. and you 've got a hell of a winch then. Fastest no-load line speed ever... like 72ft/min or something. It pulls good. only 8000lbs, which may be a little undersized for any built Explorer, but they are a great winch...

Ron Huffman , the Warn technician, is a very helpful guy.

after talking on the phone with him he sent me a service manual pack and a new label kit for motivation.

stuff001-1.jpg

Bling! ETA of completion?

I like, good stuff man!

Back