Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Wiper Pivot Shaft Linkage

Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
medefries
Bellingham, WA
93 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Wiper Pivot Shaft Linkage

Hello guys, I have a 93 explorer with a windsheild wiper problem. The driver side pivot shaft linkage has popped off the pivot shaft arm. I have the cover off and can re-attach the linkage. I can't see what is supposed to make it stay on the shaft. There does not seem to be a retainer or even a place for one. Anybody know?
medefries is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
medefries
Bellingham, WA
93 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Come on guys. Somebody has to know something.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
94EddieBauerRock
Champaign, IL
'94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

There is a small metal clip about the size of a quarter that clips onto the end of the shaft. I couldn't find it anywhere except for the Ford Dealer unfortunately. It was $17 for something that probably cost .50 to make.
94EddieBauerRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
medefries
Bellingham, WA
93 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the response. I couldn't see or feel where a clip might go. I've dealt with the clips on the motor shaft but not on the wiper shaft. I'll finish taking it out tomorrow. For $17 I might try to make something. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
medefries
Bellingham, WA
93 Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
OK here's the answer. The clip that 94Eddie refers to is the one on the motor shaft. The linkage on the pivot shaft end uses a plastic cap that snaps over a ball on the pivot shaft arm. Niether the plastic cap or the pivot shaft and linkage assy are available from the dealer anymore. Being plastic makes it unlikely to find one in a wrecking yard that would be much better than the one I have. Mine was simpley worn to the point that it would not snap over the ball. I'm sure there are better ways to repair this with aif you have a welder or a machine shop, but here's what I did.

Turn the wipers on till they are at the top of the stroke, turn the key off so they stay up.
Lift the wiper arms, release the retainer at the base, lift the arms off the shafts.
Remove the cruise control diaphragm mounting bolt and lay the diaphragm out of the way.
Remove the two rectangular access plates in the firewall just under the pivot shafts.
Remove the 1-1/8 nuts from the pivot shafts and let them drop through the holes.
Reach into the hole in the center of the firewall and remove the retaining clip from the motor shaft. With the wipers up, this in very close to the hole. Lift the tab at the top of the clip and slide the clip off.
Slide the two linkages off the motor shaft.
Slide the pivot shaft and linkage out of the access hole depending on which side you're working on.
I was able to make a retainer with .032 safety wire by wrapping it around the ball on the pivot shaft arm and bringing it up and behind the plastic cap on the linkage. By pulling it up tight and twisting it, it holds the linkage to the ball so it can't jump off, but still uses the cap as a bushing.
After repairs, slide the assembly back through the access hole. Be sure the pivot shaft arms are facing down and slide the linkage back on to the motor shaft.
The drivers side goes on first. Place the retaining clip back on the passenger side linkage, then snap the linkage back over the shaft so both linkages are locked on.
Reaching throught the access holes, re-install the pivot shafts. Test to ensure proper operation, then finish putting everything back in place.

I hope that helps someone else. Note: If you only have a problem with the passenger side, you may not have to remove the access cover, the cruise control diaphagm or the pivot shaft on the driver side.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
colonelsanders
Mobile, Al
'98 4x4 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Thanks man, I've been looking for ever fr a walk through on how to do this....I hope these instructions workon my 98 Ford Explorer....I'll give it a whirl soon!!
colonelsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
hardpike
Chicago
91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by medefries View Post
OK here's the answer. The clip that 94Eddie refers to is the one on the motor shaft. The linkage on the pivot shaft end uses a plastic cap that snaps over a ball on the pivot shaft arm. Niether the plastic cap or the pivot shaft and linkage assy are available from the dealer anymore. Being plastic makes it unlikely to find one in a wrecking yard that would be much better than the one I have. Mine was simpley worn to the point that it would not snap over the ball. I'm sure there are better ways to repair this with aif you have a welder or a machine shop, but here's what I did.

Turn the wipers on till they are at the top of the stroke, turn the key off so they stay up.
Lift the wiper arms, release the retainer at the base, lift the arms off the shafts.
Remove the cruise control diaphragm mounting bolt and lay the diaphragm out of the way.
Remove the two rectangular access plates in the firewall just under the pivot shafts.
Remove the 1-1/8 nuts from the pivot shafts and let them drop through the holes.
Reach into the hole in the center of the firewall and remove the retaining clip from the motor shaft. With the wipers up, this in very close to the hole. Lift the tab at the top of the clip and slide the clip off.
Slide the two linkages off the motor shaft.
Slide the pivot shaft and linkage out of the access hole depending on which side you're working on.
I was able to make a retainer with .032 safety wire by wrapping it around the ball on the pivot shaft arm and bringing it up and behind the plastic cap on the linkage. By pulling it up tight and twisting it, it holds the linkage to the ball so it can't jump off, but still uses the cap as a bushing.
After repairs, slide the assembly back through the access hole. Be sure the pivot shaft arms are facing down and slide the linkage back on to the motor shaft.
The drivers side goes on first. Place the retaining clip back on the passenger side linkage, then snap the linkage back over the shaft so both linkages are locked on.
Reaching throught the access holes, re-install the pivot shafts. Test to ensure proper operation, then finish putting everything back in place.

I hope that helps someone else. Note: If you only have a problem with the passenger side, you may not have to remove the access cover, the cruise control diaphagm or the pivot shaft on the driver side.
Thinking the same thing. Brother in law just gave me his 89 Ranger. same issue. found the clip, but $25 shipped is crazy. Some wire will work just fine on it.
thanks for the tip

hardpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Nmbr1Motov8r
2002 Explorer Sport 91kms

Vehicle Specs

Fix

Used it tonight on my '02 ford Exp Sport, was about to tap drill the metal bit and use bolt nuts and washers then came across this @ Advanced & found the same on Amazon Dorman 49447 HELP! Wiper Linkage Bushing

WORTH EVERY FRIGGIN PENNY OF THE $5 extras included!! lol

Good luck guys!
Nmbr1Motov8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page