Service engine light is on, and the fuel guage needle drops. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Service engine light is on, and the fuel guage needle drops.

Bani

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2018 XLT V6 3.5L
A few days ago the engine service light came on my Explorer XLT 2005. And the fuel gauge needle dropped to empty. The needle has dropped like this only 2 or 3 times in the past one year since I have owned this truck. I immediately shut the engine off and restarted, the needle was back to normal but the service engine light remains on. After driving the last few days the light remains on even thought the fuel gauge needle is working properly.
Otherwise the Truck is behaving normally. I will try Chevron gas as I read on one of the posts.
The dealership charges $140 to diagnose the problem code etc. plus cost of fixing whatever problem there is.
Do we know what the specifically the problem is (I know it has to do with emmision?
Is there an alternative fix? I wish the light to go off though.
Is it okay to keep driving with the service engine soon light on as apparently there is no other problem with the Truck?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy one of these:

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/auto-repair/diagnostic-tools/8119877-obd-ii-code-reader

And read the codes. You can also try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and reconnect it. See if the code goes away. Mine came on twice and the dealer reprogrammed the engine computer and changed an emission sensor (no charge USA emissions warranty)

There are 100's of codes that can set the Check Engine light. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

Need the code before you do anything.

Why go to the dealer to get the codes read? You can buy a reader cheaper than the $140 the dealer is charging. Hell, go to an auto repair shop and their charge would be less to pull a code. Or go get your code read for FREE from an auto parts store chain...most of them perform this service.

You need to get the code pulled to properly diagnose the problem.

Thanks everyone. I am having the code read Free on Monday. Will post the code here Tuesday.

The error code is P0463 which was identified today. I had the service engine soon light switched off by OBD II code reader. Interestingly I have driven 3 times - short distences of less than 5 miles and the light has not come on yet. It probably will tomorrow.
I had half empty tank of PetroCanada Gas that I have always used in the past, which I topped with Cheveron Gas. I have yet not added Cheveron additives for cleaning fuel. But If the light come on I will add the Cheveron Additive. IS there any particular description of Cheveron Additives?
When the light comes on again -Service Engine Soon I shall wait one or two gas tanks before taking the Explorer to a Ford Dealership. (My emmision test is not happening for at least a year)
Any suggestions would help. Hopefully it is Sulphar built up which will go away.
Thanks.

Google for Ford TSB 06-17-10.

Thanks for the Ford TSB 06-17-10. Well the service light has not come back on yet. I have driven 3 more time since my last post i.e. a total of 6 times since I had the light switched of by the OBD-II reader. Yesterday I also added Techron Concentrate fuel cleaning fluid to a full tank (Half Chevron and half old PetroCanada gas)

When the gas tank is half full again I shall add Techron Concentrate fuel cleaning fluid second and last time until 5000 miles and fill the tank with only Chevron Gas henceforth. I intend to fill on half gas tank, as that seems to work for me. I do not drive very much say 500 miles a month.

So far so good. Should the service light come back on, I shall post it. Thanks again!
:exp:

Well the service engine light came on again yesterday; six days after I had it switched it off with the OBDII reader. The service light came on and the gas gauge needle dropped in that sequence. The gas gauge needle came back after stopping and starting. Interestingly the needle drops when the tank is quarter empty. Even last time the needle dropped when the tank was quarter empty. So yesterday I added 2 bottles of Cheveron Techron concentrate fuel cleaning to the quarter empty tank. Today the light is still on. I wonder if the light goes off automatically when the fuel system improves?

The needle working again tells me that the fuels sensor is sending signals correctly. However at quarter of a tank full it fails and then starts working or sending signals again correctly.

My next step would be to add 2 bottles of Cheveron Techron concentrate fuel cleaning when there is only 10% gas left as is suggested on the bottle.

I read in my Google Searches that Seafoam fuel cleaning which is added in the gas tank with use of one tank full of 93 Octane Gas helped someone SWITCH OFF the Service Engine Light after driving about 15 miles automatically.

Is Seafome fuel cleaning system good? http://www.seafoamsales.com/
http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

Also is 93 Octane Okay to use. (The manual recommends 87 Octane for Flex fuel Explorer)

Any answers or suggestions would help.
:exp:

Bandi:

I have the same problem.
My gas gauge drops below empty and the check engine light comes on in between full and ¾ tank and works again after ¾ tank with the check engine light staying on and gas guage working.
If the gas gauge is working for a few hundred miles the check engine light turns off automatically or if a code reader is used and there is no code stored then the light turns off.
I have added about 7 bottles of Chevron in the last 7 fillups and the problem still persists.
I think this truck has about 115 K miles and the previous owner filled it up and drove it down the road and the bumpy road and stiff suspension rattled and wore the contact in that one spot at about ¾ tank so the contact is bad there and ok in the rest of the fuel level float sender range.
I would like to replace the sender assembly but they are a pricy (see rockauto.com) and I have read the Haynes manual procedure of replacement and plan on doing it or having it done when I can spend the money. And/ or before winter.
Now I just run with less than ¾ tank and run it down to a 1/8th tank and put in 10 gal at about 160 elapsed mile mark and everything’s fine no light and the gauge seems to work.
I have been using 91 octane premium in the last 7 tank fills and it's better gas but I think 87 would do just fine.

05_moutianeer_mn
Well that is an idea to keep the tank below the ¾ mark, particularly as the repairs of the sending unit is expensive and in my case it is the complete fuel pump with the sending unit as is the case for 05 Explorers about $800 to $1200, I would guess with Labor and Parts.
So it seems adding Chevron Techron fuel cleaning system does not help in your case, as there is a problem (just like mine) in the sending unit at the ¾ mark where there is a “temporary sending failure” to the fuel gauge and the light coming on. However it is worth adding 150% prescribed Chevron Techron fuel cleaning system in the hope it will clear the problem away and also switch the light off.
I shall also get it repaired in about 6- 9 months, well before Air Care Test.
Thanks

05_moutianeer_mn
Another idea may be try a fuel system clean package from a Lube or your Local Garage Repair chain. The price usually is around $80 to $140. That may help clean the Sulphur on the sensor at the ¾ mark

Good news! The Service Engine Soon light went OFF after 200 miles! It seems the computer tests for certain number of Miles or Time if the “fuel gauge needle does not fall down” it switches the light off.

Few days ago I filled the tank from ½ point (I filled the tank rather than letting it run below the ¾ mark and then fill it to less than ¾ mark, in which case I am sure the SES Light would have gone off after 200 miles as well). The rationale to fill the tank full rather than let it run below 2/3 mark is that I wanted the 94 Octane no Ethanol Chevron Premium which comes with additional fuel cleaning additives to be at a level which is the full level to reach the fuel sending unit (or even immerse it) so that the sulfur on the sending unit is immersed and finally comes of. Also I have used Chevron additives 150% as suggested on the forum – thanks folks. Interestingly it may NOT be sulfur as since 2005 or so the sulfur content has been dramatically reduced at gas stations. However the previous owner of 4 years must have used CHEAP GAS!

I did go to the Ford dealership that said the cost would be $500 for pump and $500 for Labor approximately. And the problem could be sulfur deposit OR the electric wire is permanently damaged, (so then the fuel pump will have to be changed). They did say that it is okay to use higher-octane fuel (and not vice versa i.e. For higher octane recommended vehicle DO not use lower Octane – which is not my case) but not for very long as the X is 87 Octane recommended. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE WILL BE A PROBLEM USING 94 OCTANE – No Ethanol all the time.

Next Steps: I shall continue to fill the tank for 3 to 4 times ABOVE the 3/4mark as I do get about 100 or less miles or so before the needle starts to leave the full mark (interesting – but no harm as my For Taurus 2002 also does that) so that the sending unit is well immersed for a month!

Well the light came on again 2 days ago. For the last 200 miles I used 87 Octane. So it seems that the fuel sending unit behaves properly with 94 Octane and / or chevron additives (both which I have used for about 6 weeks prior to the light coming on again) but when I used 87 Oct it does not.

Having said that I shall stop using 94 octane as 87 is recommended in the manual (perhaps 94 can burn/roast the cat converter). I will however use fuel additive next time after the light has shut off and see if the light remains off.

If this does not work then I shall keep the tank below the ¾ full mark where the sending unit works fine until such time as I get the fuel pump replaced. At least I know it is the sending unit that at a certain point malfunctions – otherwise all is well with the Explorer!

Semi-related, but with all the suggestions to buy a code reader I have to ask - what's the difference between what a hand-held scanner would show and what the onboard diagnostics show (it will display error codes)?

I just got the same problem on my '05 Mountaineer (out of warrantly).

How much does replacing just the fuel level sensor cost? (Parts and labor).

Thanks.

I just got the same problem on my '05 Mountaineer (out of warrantly).

How much does replacing just the fuel level sensor cost? (Parts and labor).

Thanks.

Had the same issue 3 months ago. I purchased a new fuel pump, not just the level sensor, from Advance Auto Parts for $175 out the door, 15% discount. Local mechanic charged $400 for install, labor is awful. So total, $575. Not too bad since FORD wanted $450 for fuel pump and almost $600 for labor. Good luck.

Buy one of these:

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/auto-repair/diagnostic-tools/8119877-obd-ii-code-reader

And read the codes. You can also try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and reconnect it. See if the code goes away. Mine came on twice and the dealer reprogrammed the engine computer and changed an emission sensor (no charge USA emissions warranty)

There are 100's of codes that can set the Check Engine light. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

Need the code before you do anything.

Hello, I have air care coming up in about 10 days and my Service Engine Light (Orange color) is on.

I am quite sure that the code is P0463, which it was last time I had it read by OBD II reader 4 years ago.

If I take the battery terminals off for 15 minutes will the light turn off? If I do that will there be any problems when I reconnect in terms Explorer starting and running fine?

I am hoping the code is not stored any more (as I have driven a few miles and the needled has not fallen)

Thank you very much for your input!

Well the light went off after 400 miles and passed air care. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have taken my car in to the mechanic about 3 times about the check engine light always being on. It has been on for over 5 years. The mechanic usually does something to turn it off before I get my inspections but than the light comes on about 2 -3 days later ?
He has never been able to fix the problem and I haven't even bothered with it until I saw this post. Maybe I can fix this easily ? One time it went off by itself just to return maybe a week or so later. It's so weird, maybe someone can help with this issue finally ?
thank you

I drive my car 120 miles or so a day 6 days a week just in case that information is important.
thank you

Oh yea also when im on a hill with the nose of my car facing down my gas gauge needle lowers like the gas is empty and vice versa when im facing up. Is that normal ? Or is there a repair for that as well ?
thank you

Back