2003 Ford Explorer with a check engine light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer with a check engine light.

babygurl04tn

Reaction score
City, State
Greeneville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hey everyone. I am new to this site. I stumbled upon it while trying to get some ideas as to what could be wrong with my Explorer. One thing it was doing, although it ran fine, was when we went to put gas in. The pump would shut off like the gas tank was full, even if it was nowhere near full. This is not a primary concern of mine at the moment because it still ran with this problem. When it first started messing up we were just driving down the rd and the overdrive light started flashing and the rpms went to like 4000. The temp gauge also sunk all the way to cold. That problem went away somehow on its on. It just happened that one time. The next time it messed up I had turned it off to get gas. When I went to crank it, it would not start. I noticed that the oil gauge was all the way to empty and the gas gauge said I had a full tank, when I know that I should have only had around 1/2 tank. I pumped the gas pedal a cpl of times while trying to start it and it started right up. The 4x4 high and low light started flashing at that time. That method of starting it worked for a few days. The last time it ran we kept it running when we stopped for something to eat so we wouldnt have to fight with it to start. It died. It hasnt ran since. Please help me out!! I would appreciate it so much.

with all those lights, it should or hopefully posted a CEL. Gas gage can be slow to react it the nature of the thing, pumping the pedal really doesn't do anything with fuel injection by the way.

starting sounds like - maybe a fuel problem, might be overflow EVAP, fuel filter, fuel pump???? should have a CEL if so. I look for a fuel pressure test.

O/D light 4x4, slipping gear, maybe a transmission issue it should have a CEL.

good luck, i never really ever suggest it, but this one sounds like a stealership fix. . .or a good mechanic. Post back what they find. ..

Back