computer reset

mastermason

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLS
Hello:
Somebody can tell me how to reset the computer of my ford explorer '02 XLS.
I'll appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it's just like anyother vehicle... you remove your battery cables off the battery and hold the two cables together... I think for 15seconds... or something like that...
That's what I've always done.

welcome

Intention?

What is the intent of a computer "reset"? Get rid of trouble codes? Battery disconnect after '96 models probably will not accomplish that (OBD-II compliance).

I had a nasty recurring MIL light coming on every week or so, bought a code reader, found it was saying "Left bank catalyst threshhold out of range", a problem affecting emissions in a non-compliance required rural area, I just deleted it. imp

BTW, OBD= "On Board Diagnostics"; MIL= Malfunction Indicator Light (check engine, if you prefer)

I had Idle trouble, got a code for "low Idle". That was helpful. Changed the IAC valve and problem solved. Needed to get rid of the indicator light though. Took both battery cables off as suggested and shorted them to each other and it worked. Funny thing though, all memory was retained. Seats, pedals, radio, the whole nine. Nice...

Back