Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Explorer door striker pin

Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Max Sharratt
Brasilia, Distrito Federal
1997 V6 4x2 manual change

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Explorer door striker pin

Do I need to replace the whole door striker assembly if the plastic sleeve on the pin has disintegrated? Where can I find these parts?
Max Sharratt is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They carry the new latch assemblies in the "HELP" section at our US auto part stores, not sure about over there... They are about $7 for a new latch with new bushings already on them.

The loose sleeves they carry only fit the tailgate. I've not seen anyone carry the sleeves for the doors, and I just replaced two pins on my truck last week due to worn bushings...

T50 Torx bit, 5 minutes, and you're golden.

They would be like this:

CLICK ME

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
juggaloscorpio
Sherman, Texas
1995 XLT

Vehicle Specs

pin bushings gone

would those pictured pins be the same for the liftgate as well as the doors? all mine are gone all the way around and liftgate wont close right i have to close it with both hands on either corner and slam it hard!!!
juggaloscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you have the pins but no bushings on the pins for your liftgate, you can get the sleeve replacement kit in the help! section. I would go to the sherman website and run the part numbers for the liftgate assemblies to be sure if you need the entire pin. I replaced the bushings on the liftgate of my old '95, so I know the refill kit works for them...

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Max Sharratt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
tailgate striker pin and bushings

In numerous part suppliers on-line catalogues I didn´t locate the pin assembly which was confirmed as the part for a 1997 4x2 manual change. One or two looked right but they told me it wasn´t the right unit for my vehicle. Also I was nervous about the retaining bolt slipping inside the body, ie the problem going from bad to worse. For now I have fashioned bushes from the plastic caps of a 20 litre water container and secured them with insulating tape. Not pretty but it works. I´ll probably need to repeat the process in a year but so what.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
SkyJumper
DISABLED AIRBORNE VET
SW Florida

1999 Expedition XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I tell you what, I will look for one here and see how much it will cost me to ship it to you if you PM me your address, I will ship it to you at no cost to you as long as the shipping is reasonable.

You just need the striker right? It comes with the plastic sleeve as a kit.

And you are talking about your 97 Explorer, correct?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
juggaloscorpio
Sherman, Texas
1995 XLT

Vehicle Specs

striker fixed

Okay so I went to autozone last night and got a striker setup from the help! section and it fit perfect but the 2nd one I bought today(only bought one last night to make sure it would fit right) was a larger diameter bolt so what I did was just take the sleeve off the new one and put it on the old striker so problem is now fixed. also i got the sleeve replace kit(2lrg/2sml sleeves @ 3.99 instead of 8.99 for one striker assembly) and just replaced the sleeves on the liftgate strikers. all fits well and closes nicely but take note: **The brackets behind the tail lights only has 3 fins holding it in place and they bend very easy when trying to remove the liftgate strikers so be careful not to break them off in the replacement process** I just used a pair of vice grips to hold the bracket.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Max Sharratt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Dear 96xplorer4OH Thank you for your kind offer. As I need parts for all doors and the tailgate (in reality only the plastic sleeves but we know these are not sold separately) if you have time to locate a supplier (email7phone7address) where I can obtain the strikers for my 97/97 4x2 manual V6 I´ll get in contact with him and see if he will freight to me. I still worry about how easy it will be to replace the strikers given the fragile brackets securing them as Juggaloscorpio says. Removing the lighting assembly will give access to the tailgate strikers but for the doors?
Anyway, nice to hear from you guys, I love my Explorer which I bought in 2002 with 62000km from a single owner and now I am approaching 160000km. There are still a few lowish mileage 90s Explorers available mainly in Sao Paulo state. Beats the hell out of the Japanese and Korean SUVs which are tremendously popular here. God bless America especially Willie, Emmylou and JerryJeff.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
juggaloscorpio
Sherman, Texas
1995 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sharratt View Post
Dear 96xplorer4OH Thank you for your kind offer. As I need parts for all doors and the tailgate (in reality only the plastic sleeves but we know these are not sold separately)
actually autozone does sell just the sleeves for the tailgate but not the door strikers (4pk $3.99 and 2 are not for explorer use but 2lrg ones work for liftgate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sharratt View Post
I still worry about how easy it will be to replace the strikers given the fragile brackets securing them as Juggaloscorpio says. Removing the lighting assembly will give access to the tailgate strikers but for the doors?
the brackets are sturdy but the fins that hold the bracket in place are not and I think removal of the interior trim where seatbelt is secured(please correct me if im wrong havent tried it yet) should allow access to the brackets for the door and if you use some PB blaster on the brackets the strikers will come right out

Autozone's Help! access. section does have 2 different striker kits for the explorers($8.99 each) make sure you get the one accordingly as I didnt and got the larger bolted one(last one on rack) and wasnt paying attention to it on install and stripped the bracket out but was able to re-install the old striker(by crossthreading it unfortunately) and am now dealing without a sleeve until i can replace the bracket also

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page