Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Front upper & lower ball joint boots

Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
audioholic
Virginia
`99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Front upper & lower ball joint boots

Hello all,

Is there any source out there for buying ball joint boots - just the boots vs. a control arm or ball joint assembly? Or has someone cross-referenced boots from another vehicle that can be utilized? I have a 98 Sport 2WD and a 99 XLT V8 AWD that the ball joint boots have split on. I have been keeping them cleaned/lubed regularly so there's no slop present in the ball joints and any wear is minimal. By the way, if anyone else is nursing ball joints with split boots I have had success in using motorcycle chain lube - it's good quality lube and it stays on since it's designed to not be flung off.

I've searched online for boots without success, also searched this site and found nothing conclusive. It seems strange to me to have to spend $2-300 per vehicle in parts on upper arms and lower joints plus realignment when boots are all that's really required. I have the tools and the time but can't source the boots. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ronald Reagan
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
alohamonte
Glendale, AZ
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Boots arent sold seperately. Once the boots are torn, the grease inside pours out, dirt/water gets in, and the damage is done.

The balljoints need to be replaced. Putting new boots over it will do nothing to save those joints.

Sorry.

1998 Xplorer 4.0 OHV 4x4, 3.73 L/S, 31x10.5 Good Year Silent Armor A/T, All Synthetic Fluids, Sony Audio System, Yakima Roof Rack w/ 3rd Crossbar, Bilstein Shocks, Silverstar Ultras, Clifford Alarm & Keyless Entry, Throttle Cable Mod, Moog Front End
alohamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If you really only want the boot, buy a $30 replacement ball joint of the same make as the one you have installed, and install just the boot on it. Personally I wouldn't do all the work and NOT replace the joint too...

Also, if you're splitting boots, you could be over-greasing them. One shot every oil change (or every other as you see fit) is all that's necessary. More is not necessarily better in this case.

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
theSpoon
Plantsville, Connecticut
97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

I have some boots that may work for you I bought them for the same reason but was too late and just replaced my ball joints. They would only fit your lower ones though and I'm not home right now or I would get the brand/part number for you.
theSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
RickOTR
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had the same problem as you. My solution... aftermarket balljoint boots from Energy Suspension part #9.13130R. The are for a Mustang GT, but they share the same dimensions as the Explorer. So far, I've had no problem with them.

2006 Ford GT:
2007 Lincoln MKX
2013 Cadillac ATS
RickOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
theSpoon
Plantsville, Connecticut
97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

daystar part no. KU13027BK also fits
theSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
audioholic
Virginia
`99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the suggestion and part numbers. I figured something out there had to work but no catalogs showed a listing. Both vehicles have the original Ford ball joints and pass inspection, neither have any play in them, just deteriorated boots. A new set of boots should keep them from self-destructing and will keep me from having to climb under there so often.

Ronald Reagan
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page