Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Tune up?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
ahent
Johnston, IA
'07 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Tune up?

OK, Ford dealer says I am do for tune up (68,000 on 2007 Explorer XLT 4.0). Other than spark plugs, what is involved with this $250 process. I am fine paying it, I have heard some horror stories involving the plugs on these Explorers, I just want to know what else they might be doing. Thanks for any help, I did search for this, but do you know how many times "Tune" comes up on this website, holy crap.

( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Carguy3J
Elite Explorer
North East New Jersey
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahent View Post
OK, Ford dealer says I am do for tune up (68,000 on 2007 Explorer XLT 4.0). Other than spark plugs, what is involved with this $250 process. I am fine paying it, I have heard some horror stories involving the plugs on these Explorers, I just want to know what else they might be doing. Thanks for any help, I did search for this, but do you know how many times "Tune" comes up on this website, holy crap.
It should also include new plug wires, and perhaps a new air filter. That's about it for a tuneup these days. Check with the dealer, as some include things like checking/topping off various fluids, as well as "safety inspections" of various systems.

For the most part, the only plugs people seem to have problems with are the Bosch. For some reason, Explorers, and Fords in general, just seem to not like the Bosch plugs. Motorcraft and Autolite should be fine though. I imagine the dealer will use Motorcraft.

Best Time 15.87 e/t @ 86.6MPH in the 1/4
Carguy3J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
shaker1
Algonquin, IL
2006 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0

Vehicle Specs

Have the dealer tell you what they are doing for the $250.

I would do Motorcraft/Autolite plugs (and inspect wires).
Replace fuel filter.
Replace Air filter.
Change Transfer case fluid.
Check serpentine belt for wear/cracking.
Check antifreeze level in expansion tank.
Change Oil/Filter if necessary.

Check your owner's manual for the 60K maintenance schedule.
shaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
kkreit01
Olathe, KS
'08 Sport Trac V8 2wd XLT

Vehicle Specs

^ If you can get all that for $250, I think we should all drive to your dealer. Your lucky to get plugs, wires, air filter, and oil change for $250.

But yeah, follow the manual like shaker1 says. It's all outlined in there. You may need nothing?
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Maniak
Moderator-Stock 91-94
Vail, Arizona

1992 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I know its not an explorer, but its an 06 ford with the same 4.0 sohc ( our mustang).

at 70k I did the following for its tune up..

Oil/filter
Plugs/wires
Trans fluid (manual trans)
fuel filter
Diff fluid (rear, since its only 2wd)
air filter (that gets changed every 6 months anyway)
Checked brakes (Changed rears since they needed it).
checked all fluid

We are coming on on its 140k miles tune up..
I'll do all the same things And change the coolant
I "might" do the brake fluid and clutch fluid flush. I'm looking for that test paper to tell me if it has water in it.

~Mark

Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Rngrs3910
Boston, MA
06' Explorer V8EB Edition

Vehicle Specs

You're getting all your plugs and wires replaced for $250? I've been having mis-firing problems with my v8 over the past few months, and the dealership has been charging me a little over $100 to do 1 plug with coil and wires. Sounds like I'm getting ripped off...
Rngrs3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
jupiterak
2006 Explorer EB V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

It doesn't sound right all that at $250 from a dealer. Plugs alone cost about $8 a piece. The belt will prolly cost $40-$50, fuel filter $10, and air filter $15-$25.
jupiterak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
bojans
McHenry, Il
2006 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rngrs3910 View Post
You're getting all your plugs and wires replaced for $250? I've been having mis-firing problems with my v8 over the past few months, and the dealership has been charging me a little over $100 to do 1 plug with coil and wires. Sounds like I'm getting ripped off...
If they are replacing the coil pack $100 is very fair. The V8's do not have plug wires. An aftermarket coil assembly is $50 to $75 plus labor... FYI if you know which cylinder is mis-firing you can replace the coil pack yourself in 5 minutes, all you need is an 8mm wrench or socket.
bojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
jordan101
versailles,mo
97 xlt

Vehicle Specs

My dealer told me just for labor for plugs and wires is like 2.5 hrs which turns out to 180 dollars.
jordan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
thebrakeman
Canton, Michigan
2006 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
OP has a 4.0L V6.

The major headache with plugs is on the 4.6L V8 (3-valve Triton family). For spark plug replacement on any of the Triton V8's (4.6L or 5.4L in the bigger trucks), Ford will quote you extra labor in case the break a plug. This requires more time and special extractor tools to finish the job. On average, I guess they break 1/3-1/2 of the plugs, so they quote accordingly. The extractor tool is only good for some many uses before it's worn out, so that adds to the cost, too.

Ask the dealer to be sure they are quoting correct labor for the V6, not the V8. And yes, you should always ask the dealer what they are doing. We can't tell you if it's a good deal if you don't know what's included.

For anyone considering letting the dealer change the plugs on your V8, you may consider asking the dealer if they will reduce the cost if it takes less than their standard time. Probably not, but you can ask.

Cashmere/Camel Interior, navigation, power 3rd row
2004 Surveyor 261T Hybrid Travel Trailer (27 ft)
Equal-i-zer 10,000 lb 4-pt Sway Control WDH
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
willied
Columbus, GA
2006 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I got my plugs changed at around 73,000 miles with none broken. And it only cost $140.
willied is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page