Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

1997 explorer 5.0 V8 missing intake vacuum hose errati idle hissing sound code P0171

Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
ford5.0explorer
98 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1997 explorer 5.0 V8 missing intake vacuum hose errati idle hissing sound code P0171

Hi I need help finding a missing vacuum hose! I had codes P0171 PO174 idling from 500rpm to 1500rpm erratically, hissing sound under the hood, found open port on intake manifold on the driver side upper intake manifold there is a "T" fitting one line goes to the PVC valve, and the other side goes to were??? I see no line, and have plugged it with t 90 degree spark plug boot and a bolt, so far idles normally hasn't reset check engine light.. but were and what dies the missing vacuum line do, and go to?

Here is the best diagram the dealer could find me!

and here is a video of were the line is! Please help I am puzzled, so is the dealership!! thanks guys -Jamie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynQZfsO926s
ford5.0explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Yeah its just capped off bud.checked friends 98 mountaineer and his doesn't even have the t fitting just the one out back to pvc.capped mine 6 months ago no problems.hope this helps
arpac90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
yellow coupe
East Tn.
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

I have a 97 Mountaineer AWD. That hose goes to the front of the engine and tees off to 2 smaller hoses. 1 going to the passenger side and 1 to the driver side. Not sure what they go to though. The 1 on the driver side goes under the battery tray and the 1 on the passenger side goes under the air filter box. Hope this helps you some anyway.
yellow coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Hydrogenisagas
98 Limited All Time AWD

Vehicle Specs

Dk Exp Omg!

Is that the definitive answer? Because I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! LMAO! I could not believe I found this post! And with the drawing and everything. I have to say I am impressed!

I have a 98 Explorer AWD with the same damn problem P0174s and P0171s.

I did plugs and wires which got rid of the P0171, but even though I capped it off (the tube missing a hose in the picture) I am still getting a rough idle and feeling of lost power and mpg...sigh... Very frustrating.

Getting ready to go camping for Memorial Day and would like to get this rectified! :-) Anyone else have any ideas on this one?

I may take it over and have the guy in the next town over take a look at er. If I do I will let you know how it turns out. ;-)
Hydrogenisagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Vacuum reservoir & fuel VMV

I don't know about the 5.0 V8 but on my SOHC V6 there is a vacuum reservoir on the passenger side located under the air filter housing support and a fuel vapor management valve on the passenger sided under the battery support. Both of these need a manifold vacuum source.
2000StreetRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
PerryH

Vehicle Specs

Does anyone have an update on this?

I had whatever was on that port blow off while I was in Florida. I put duct tape over it for the drive back home. When I got it in the garage I looked over it thoroughly and couldn't find any hose that used to be there so I capped it with a vacuum cap. I cleared the check engine light and that hasn't come back.

My truck is a 97 5.0 AWD. My father's 95 5.0 2WD has a hose from that port going to the front of the truck, but that hose on mine goes under the upper intake and was connected to something toward the back of the engine. I pulled on it and it definitely was not loose. He also had different connections under the front of the upper intake manifold. I don't know if that is a model year variation, an AWD vs. RWD variation, or both.

However...
Now at Interstate speeds (65+) if I go WOT, the truck will downshift like normal, but the proceeding upshift is very hard like I have some sort of redneck shift kit on my car (which I don't like at all and it feels like it is going to break something) so I'm guessing there was a hose on that port and it provided feedback to the transmission.

Any info would be appreciated.
PerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Elvis5R
Mokena IL
1997 Explorer EB

Vehicle Specs

US Anyone have a definitive answer?

Well, first I thought I was going nuts...then I found this thread.
I have the exact same difficulty as the above posters' video shows. Heck, it even looks like he videotaped MY truck...

I guess where I'm confused is that I couldn't imagine an engineer putting in a vacuum line that's just going to get capped off. Am I missing something here?

Hoping someone has found a good answer from their favorite trusted Ford guy (or gal, as it may be). I'd hate to spend a few hundred bucks to let someone tell me that they just capped it off.

Thanks all in advance.
Elvis5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
cvetter
Amarillo, Texas
2000 XLT 5.0 :)

Vehicle Specs

My explorer is missing the driver's side line that goes underneath the battery. Its losing power going up hills and is idling extremely rough. Does anyone know that part number or what exactly it goes to??
cvetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
5.0 v8 intake manifold, vacuum leak

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page