Smyrna, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
P2135 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" / "B" Voltage Correlation
P2111 Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open
P2106 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power
P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle
P2105 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Engine Shutdown

Does this mean the TAC on the trottle body is bad? Been having a hard time finding the whole trottle body assembly (guess the TAC is not a serviceable item, so you have to buy the whole thing). 04 Mountaineer 4.0L AWD. Truck won't start unless you prop open the butterfly with your hand and then the gas pedal won't do anything when you push it. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem

I have the same exact situation with my '04 Explorer Limited. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

'04 Ford Explorer P2106

Frustrated with this vehicle. Spent $380.00 to have a dealer check out this problem, and change out the TPS. After I left the dealership the lights came back on (wrench and Service Engine). I looked under the hood when I got home to see if they left anything unplugged, found the TPS missing a screw. Took it back and waited for the vehicle, they could not find a problem after they cleared the light, I had to test drive it to show them what it does. Technician took the vehicle back in the shop and was able to duplicate the problem. Waitted all day to find out they had to call Ford and their fix is to replace the Throttle Body for $590.00 + tax. I found a used Throttle body, switched them out and still have the same problem. Looking at the original Throttle body the TPS screw that was missing is now crooked, they tried to re drill a hole and inserted a self tapping screw. HELP, as I am unemployed at the moment and can't afford to take it to another dealer.:mad:

I did resolve the problem with my vehicle. It did require a new Throttle Position Sensor. It was a $111 part from my dealer. I installed it myself. And I do remember having problems with the screws that mount it. I did not have to replace the entire Throttle Body.

The problem was solved immediately on my vehicle.

I had the dealer replace that part and I still have the problem.:mad:

Repair

Found the problem; took vehicle to a mechanic who is more concerned with his customers than his pocket book. After some checking he found that the harmonic balancer had come apart and was wearing the crank sensor and causing all of the problems. There is a tech bulletin for a new improved design and bolt.

Good to hear you got it solved. Thanks for the follow up. Will help others down the road.

BTW, which mechanic? Been looking for a good one in the Omaha area.

Same problem

I have the same exact situation with my '04 Explorer Limited. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

P2135 : Yes, I solved it on my truck.
My conclusion is that P2135 and other codes are a consequence of other small defects.
Advice: buy a small 70$ pocket scanner to have it in the truck and scan when needed
First, you need to answer yourself to these questions:
- are spark plugs in good condition? - if not, replace them with genuine Motorcraft; are the contacts ok?
- are the wires going to spark plugs in good condition? - if not, replace them with Motorcraft
- are contacts with 6 coils box in good condition? - check and clean them
- from spark plugs to coil box, are the wires crossing each other ? if yes, re-arrange each wire from its spark plug to its coil through a NORMAL path, not allowing to cross each other ! [that's because each wire create an electro-magnetically field. If these fields are crossing each other, they will send fake signal to PCM !] Of course, you need to maintain the correct number of cylinders when connecting wires.
- are the wires going to oxygen sensors in good condition and connections are ok?
- are all the wires going to TPS and Throttle body in good condition and not fried? are all the connectors ok?
- is it throttle body clean ? if not, you need to remove inside the carbon excess with a CRC spray for electric parts and a thin rag [see helpful videos ]
- is it air filter clean? if no, replace it
- do you have any air leaks on the path to Throttle body? - if yes, must be eliminated
- is your MAF sensor clean? => I think not. You need to clean it with a CRC spray for electric parts. First, disconnect battery at minus pole, in order to be safe and to erase the codes. Then, you need to take out the tube with MAF. Separately, spray on MAF 2-3 times, without touching it. Let it dry for 10 min. Then, put them back on truck and connect battery. See this helpful video :

So, any miss function on these paths may conduct to a fake signal to PCM.
PCM will convert bad electrical signal received to a bad code.

Additional: is your PCM re-flashed with latest software issued by Ford? - if not, go to dealer and do it

You may note: if all above conditions are achieved and P2135 was not solved, then you need to take in consideration, using Motorcraft parts :
- change TPS and then test the truck
- then change full Throttle body and then test the truck
- at least, change PCM
Hope it was helpful. K.

Back