Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

96 4.0L cranks but won't start....

Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
tjr1973
Red Lodge, MT
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
96 4.0L cranks but won't start....

Just picked up a 96 Ford Explorer 4.0L 4x4 with an Automatic Transmission with a random no start problem. When the vehicle doesn't start, you can't hear the pump run.

The previous day I changed the fuel filter and it wasn't that plugged...you could blow through it fairly easily. I changed the fuel pump as well and sure enough it did it again this morning. Vehicle cranks like crazy but no start. I messed around with it for about fifteen minutes and every once in a while when I'd turn the key on, I could hear the pump. It would try and fire but not start when it did this. More often than not, I couldn't hear the pump and it would just crank. I had my wife turn the key on while I put my hand (and ear) over the relays and the fuel pump relay was clicking every time.

After messing with turning the key on and off I finally got it to start. I turned it off and on quite a few times without fail from then on. The check engine light is not on and I have not seen it on.

Could a Crankshaft position sensor cause this....a cam sensor...the computer itself? I guess I'm not sure where to investigate now. If anybody has any pointers I'd love to hear them at this point.

Tracy
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
chrys
Grottoes, VA
'96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I'm having the same problem with my 96 Explorer. Did you ever get this figured out? I'm losing my mind over this never knowing if and when I will get stranded somewhere. Thanks!
chrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
tjr1973
Red Lodge, MT
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yeah...it was the one thing I didn't replace when doing the fuel pump job. The fuel pump relay. I replaced it and I believe the ECM Relay next to it at the same time and haven't had a problem since.
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Doscascos
West Baltimore MD
95 Explorer Sport 226k

Vehicle Specs

This is off the top of my head just with that era fords in general, I would check the fuel pump relay and see if it is picking up, try replacing or even just pulling it and cleaning the connector contacts.
Doscascos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Abbondanza
Bronx, NY
1996 XLT 4.0 OHV 170k

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a '96 4.0 as well (replaced the fuel pump by cutting the access panel), if you're absolutely positive you are not hearing the fuel pump on certain crank-ups, I would think it has to be the relay (as suggested) or the wiring is faulty to the pump. Also I have heard horror stories about replaced pumps being faulty as well. If the easy fix of replacing or jumping the starter relay doesn't work, I would guess that the thing to do is check for proper voltage at the pump connections when you turn the key to crank, if it is consistent than you know it's the pump. That's where I would begin.
Abbondanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
1992fordgreen
Inside the Rehabilitation Center
96 Ex EB, 92 Lexus SC400

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
SHe probably already fixed it, since this thread is about 2 yrs old...:p

1996 Ford Explorer EB (200k) 1992 Lexus SC400 (150k) 1999 Mazda Miata (160k) 1999 Lexus GS300 (175k) 2000 Mazda Miata SE (1 of 3k, DR33 MB drags, 6 speed, 110k) 2001 Toyota Sequoia (240k) 2003 Chevrolet Suburban (175k) 2007 Yerf Dog Spiderbox, 86 Montgomery Ward, 1971 Olds Cutlass (180k) 1992 Ford Explorer XLT (140k)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcatledge View Post
Got my 97 for $250; the previous owner thought the tranny was gone but it is actually the transfer case. They were not happy when I put it in 4 low and drove away.
1992fordgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page