Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Mounting a bike rack w/ only step bumper

Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
specialkuz
'99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Mounting a bike rack w/ only step bumper

I've been investigating this for a while, but have not really found a great solution. I'm trying to mount a bike rack on my 99 Eddie Bauer without having to install a full hitch receiver under my truck.

Is there a step-bumper hitch receiver option out there?
Has anyone else had any luck with a step-bumper bike rack?
Any other way to somehow mount a regular hitch-receiver bike rack on a step bumper?

Thanks a lot for the help!
specialkuz is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
toypaseo
Flunked daycare
outside shovelling snow

................ 96 XLT ™

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
There is one option on here...

http://www.trailerhitchuniverse.com/pages.php?pageid=9

Quote:
Hitch mount bike racks attach directly to your receiver hitch. The shank of the bike rack slides into the receiver, and is held in place by a standard or locking hitch pin. When choosing a hitch-mounted rack, make sure to select the correct size shank to fit your receiver hitch - 1 ¼” or 2”.

The number of bikes that you can carry on a receiver-mounted hitch depends both on the rack and on the weight limit of your hitch. Check your owner’s manual to find out how much your hitch can carry. The weight you are looking for is called “Tongue Weight” or “TW”. 1 ¼” racks typically carry one or two bikes, while 2” racks can carry up to five.

Pros: Receiver mount racks can carry up to five bikes, and are very easy to use. Receiver mount bike racks are by far the most popular hitch bike racks, and have the most models to choose from.
Cons: A receiver mount rack uses the hitch, which means you can’t carry your bikes and tow a trailer at the same time. (If you need to carry bikes and tow at the same time, try one of our towing hitch mount bike racks shown below.)
Buy this rack if: You have a receiver hitch mounted on your vehicle, and you don’t need to tow a trailer while carrying your bikes.
Browse our Hitch Mount Bike Racks

toypaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Dan Whitaker
One fast putty tat
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)

No Mounty no more.

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toypaseo View Post
He does not have a receiver hitch now. That's not going to do him any good

Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
toypaseo
Flunked daycare
outside shovelling snow

................ 96 XLT ™

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
oops, wrong one Would need to mount a ball on the bumper though...

Quote:
Ball mount hitch bike racks attach to the hitch ball mounted on your bumper or drawbar of your receiver hitch. Ball mount racks will attach to most hitch balls, whether it is on your bumper or a 1 ¼” or 2” receiver.

Expert Tech Tip: Bumpers usually have lower weight limits than receiver hitches, so make sure to check your owner’s manual to make sure it can take the load of the rack. If you will need to carry a lot of bikes, you may need to purchase and install a receiver hitch and a hitch mount hitch bike rack.

Pros: You don’t need to have a receiver hitch to use these racks.
Cons: You won’t be able to carry as many bikes, and there is a smaller selection of racks to choose from.
Buy this rack if: You have a bumper-mounted or non-removable hitch ball, but no receiver hitch and you don’t need to carry more than three bikes.

toypaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
cambertoes
Eagan MN
93VXR

Vehicle Specs

re: bike racks

are thule bikeracks better than yakima racks
cambertoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
weld302
1997 XL Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I have a swagman three bike rack and i just use a bolt and put on the step bumper when i need it works great but the down side is not beieg able to open the tailgate?
weld302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page