Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a PATS system failure.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
davidalanonline

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a PATS system failure.

I realize I am new here and I am posting in the wrong category, but
I have thoroughly exhausted myself trying to figure out this problem, and for some reason I'm not allowed to post in the Ford Explorer "Assitance" forum.

I have a '02 Ford Explorer, I just bought it.
It's going to be a winter vehicle, so I bought it, drove it home, and parked it.
It's probably sat for 6 or 7 days without me starting it.

Yesterday I went to start the vehicle, and my anti-theft light it going crazy.
It bleaks. My doors lock. My dashboard lights up. My vehicle won't start.
It also appears my battery is dead which may have contributed to this ..

I attempted to jump the vehicle, but it still won't start. My anti-theft light blinks.

I tried to turn my "key switch" to 3, right before start, and leave it there, for my theft light to go out, but it still won't.

I've ran out of ideas, and I'm pretty frustated.
If you any of you would be so kind as to help me, I would be very thankful!

Is there a way to reset the theft system?
I keep reading about a override button under the dash, but I can't seem to find it.

If you could post specific detailed instructions explaining how to reset the sysystem and / or what my problem is it would be great!

Best,

David
davidalanonline is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
davidalanonline

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Note: If the moderators would be kind enough to look over my posting in the wrong forum and allow my post to stay up long enough to assistance offered that would be great ..
Thanks.
davidalanonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 2002-2005 section.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
fusseli
2002 4.6L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm having a very similar problem, no start followed by theft light blinking. I can't post in the 911 section either... My 02 mountaineer is stranded at work. Plan on trying a new battery later as I know some vehicles to have crazy electrical side effects when the battery is too dead to operate everything properly.

Any other ideas electrical and/or theft system related would be appreciated.
fusseli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
jakedrew
wisconsin
04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would say put a new battery in there for starters. I know when my 04's battery got weak the gauges did some goofy stuff.

good luck
jakedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
leapyear
dallas
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

i had the same issue today. i had both the battery and starter tested, both of which are working properly. everything electric powered works fine. the engine won't turn over. i can only hear the faint click of a relay.

when turning the key to the start position, my pats light stays on for 3 secs, then flashes non-stop for about 60 secs, then it changes to a patterned flash (on, pause, on, long pause - repeat) for another 60 secs, then it goes off. is this a good thing?
leapyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
fusseli
2002 4.6L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
sounds like PATS isn't recognizing your key. i read somewhere on the forum that the patterned flashes are codes that will tell you what part of PATS is failing.
fusseli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
leapyear
dallas
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusseli View Post
sounds like PATS isn't recognizing your key. i read somewhere on the forum that the patterned flashes are codes that will tell you what part of PATS is failing.
36 hours and $250 later, it turns out that my suspicions and your guess was right. they replaced the pats transceiver and reprogrammed the keys. no reason why it failed other than "they just sometimes do". at least i can start the car again.
leapyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Thanks for the update!
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
seeborn
cambridge.maryland
2002 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 that gets gas and fuel but just wont start. I got some codes which is p0300,p0301,p0302,p0303,p1131,p0137 please if anyone can help me .
seeborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
Dwelves02XLT
Stuttgart, Germany
'02 XLT V6 2WD

Vehicle Specs

For those who "might" have their spare key, recommend using it. The situation has happened to me before and I used the spare and it fired right up. Seeing its a issue with the vehicle, I now keep he spare key on the key ring with a sticker on it just incase it happens again. The sad part is once I turn it off and use the main, it fires right up as well.
Dwelves02XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeborn View Post
I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 that gets gas and fuel but just wont start. I got some codes which is p0300,p0301,p0302,p0303,p1131,p0137 please if anyone can help me .
I recommend starting a new thread in the Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Sub Forum.

This thread is about something completely different.

Here is the link to the Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Sub Forum:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...play.php?f=101

Good luck & Happy Exploring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
One eyed willy
2001 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

I know this is a old thread, but I have some info to help. Just went thru this this morning!

Both keys would not start, no click and the theft light would just rapidly flash. I checked all fuses first, disconnected the battery for 30 minutes...still nothing. Used my code scanner and got B1681. Pulled apart the column, unplugged the transceiver harness and 3 wires metered 12volts and 1wire was a ground, so I knew it had power. Went to ford, $48 later I had a new transceiver. Plug and play, no programming and was back in action. From my reading it appears some pre 01 models needs to have the keys re-programmed...but I got lucky and didn't need it.
One eyed willy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
2002, explorer, theft system, xlt

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page