Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

How To Replace Ranger Tailgate Latches.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Car-Dog
Fresno, California
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How To Replace Ranger Tailgate Latches.

Well one of my tailgate latches broke so I decided to go ahead and replace both of them. I noticed that several people have had ?s about the process so I took a couple of pics. It is really Pretty simple and should only take about 30 mins for both sides.

All you really need is: Torx bits I believe the big one was a t45 and the small one was like a t35 and a sharpie

And of course new latches:

The first step is to remove the tailgate piece of the bed liner (If you have one) this is what the smaller torx bit is for there should be 6 screws unless your missing a few like I was:

Once the liner is off this metal plate should be uncovered and loose:

Once the metal plate is off you should be able to see inside of the tailgate like this:

The next step is to disconnect the limit cable(or whatever you want to this thing) all you have to do is take the weight of off the tailgate pull up on the little tab and slide the hole forward:

If you only do one side at a time the other cable is plenty strong enough to hold up the tailgate while you work on it

next you want to loosen the rods that go to the handle, all you have to do is flip the yellow latch open and pop the rod out, this where I used the sharpie. I made a match mark on the yellow clip and the rod so I knew exactly where to snap it back in:

Next take the t45 torx ( at least I think it was a 45) and remove the two screws that hold the latch on:

You should now be able to slide the latch out of the tailgate and take it off of the rod like this:

Those little lock washers can be a pain to get off I just put the old latch in a vice and pounded the bolts out of the old latch, miraculously the lock washers were undamaged and i was able to reuse them. the reassembled latch should look like this ( this is the one for the drivers side):

to put it all back together read the directions upside down

Sorry some of the pics are so fuzzy I took all of them with my cell phone

Hope this helps someone
Car-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
RangerX
Elite Ranger
Omao, Kauai

'93 Ranger XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Nice writeup! Where did you get the new latches? And why did the old ones need replacing?

RangerX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Scotty J.
Packin
Little Rock, Ar

'02 Ford Ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Better yet, why are the 02' piece of shit plastic handles replaced with metal? I figure we all know the answer to that LOL.

I found out right before I had my rhino lining done. The plastic handle broke, so before I had it rhino lined, i had to replace it. The replacement handle assembly was made of metal.

Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
There are two types of people that offroad, those that have damaged their vehicles, and those that are going to damage their vehicles...welcome to group 1
Scotty J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Car-Dog
Fresno, California
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerX View Post
Nice writeup! Where did you get the new latches? And why did the old ones need replacing?
Thanks! I got them from parts train I believe they were 6$ each. I had to replace them because there is a little plastic piece around the claw part that was smashed on one of my old ones so i decided id just go ahead and do them both. And the springs on the old ones were worn out. everything is nice and tight now with no rattles.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Car-Dog
Fresno, California
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty J. View Post
Better yet, why are the 02' piece of shit plastic handles replaced with metal? I figure we all know the answer to that LOL.

I found out right before I had my rhino lining done. The plastic handle broke, so before I had it rhino lined, i had to replace it. The replacement handle assembly was made of metal.
I hate plastic.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Tbars4
Offroad/Fitness Moderator
anaheim hills,california

95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
...Cool...Always nice to have more Ranger information here...

How to: Wheels,Tires, & Lifts...
Buy Explorerforum.com Items here
Tbars4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
garyobrien
1997 Mazda B4000 SE

Vehicle Specs

Great, great info - thanks!
One of the plastic clips that secures the latch arm to the handle is broken. I checked Parts Train and they don't have it listed.
Any idea where I could find it? I hope I can buy just the clips and not an assembly.
cheerio - Gary
garyobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
swshawaii
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Appears to be the same yellow clip used for the door lock rods.
Assortment pack, but better than dealer pricing. Take a sample.

www.dormanproducts.com/p-12366-75473.aspx
swshawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page