Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Bell housing bolts?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Tackle
Minnesota
1999 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Bell housing bolts?

Hello,

I have a 99 explorer 4.0 sohc, AWD/4WD. The transmission had a broken band so I got a different trans to put in. Yesterday I dropped the transmission, but I didn't notice the bell housing bolts were different sizes. There is 2 long, 4 medium, and 2 short. Can someone help me figure out where they go? Maybe pretend the housing is a clock?

Also, any tips for putting the trans in? Specific torques and if we need to add trans fluid to the bell housing where the t/c is before installing? Or add it on the other end where it connects to the transfer case. Does that part need a gasket as well?
Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
IronIndian
Glendale, CA
1991 Mazda Navajo

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stick a small screwdriver in each hole in the block to measure the depth of the threads. You can determine which bolt goes where from there. Before putting in your "new" trans, you should change the filter, oil, front pump seal, and also inspect the t/c for excessive play. The old t/c should have fluid in there so you can try to empty out as much fluid as possible and fill it halfway with new fluid. When installing the t/c, spin and push in at the same time. This allows the t/c to seat properly and it should sit 1/2"-1.5" inside the bellhousing. Once everything is mounted, you should be able to fill thru the dipstick. I'm not sure if your truck came with a trans dipstick though...

Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Bolt lengths & locations

The two longest bolts fit at the bottom and screw into the block cradle/upper oil pan.

The two shortest, stubby bolts fit at the top.

The other bolts fit in between the top and bottom.

The specified torque is 30 to 41 ft-lbs. I torqued mine bolts to 38 ft-lbs. I used two wobble extensions to torque the top bolts while working under the vehicle.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page