Bell housing bolts?

Tackle

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hello,

I have a 99 explorer 4.0 sohc, AWD/4WD. The transmission had a broken band so I got a different trans to put in. Yesterday I dropped the transmission, but I didn't notice the bell housing bolts were different sizes. There is 2 long, 4 medium, and 2 short. Can someone help me figure out where they go? Maybe pretend the housing is a clock?

Also, any tips for putting the trans in? Specific torques and if we need to add trans fluid to the bell housing where the t/c is before installing? Or add it on the other end where it connects to the transfer case. Does that part need a gasket as well?

Stick a small screwdriver in each hole in the block to measure the depth of the threads. You can determine which bolt goes where from there. Before putting in your "new" trans, you should change the filter, oil, front pump seal, and also inspect the t/c for excessive play. The old t/c should have fluid in there so you can try to empty out as much fluid as possible and fill it halfway with new fluid. When installing the t/c, spin and push in at the same time. This allows the t/c to seat properly and it should sit 1/2"-1.5" inside the bellhousing. Once everything is mounted, you should be able to fill thru the dipstick. I'm not sure if your truck came with a trans dipstick though...

Bolt lengths & locations

The two longest bolts fit at the bottom and screw into the block cradle/upper oil pan.

The two shortest, stubby bolts fit at the top.

The other bolts fit in between the top and bottom.

The specified torque is 30 to 41 ft-lbs. I torqued mine bolts to 38 ft-lbs. I used two wobble extensions to torque the top bolts while working under the vehicle.

Back