• Register Today It's free!

Disable ABS

AmsoilGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Exploder XLT 4x4
So I have had the pulsing brake pedal now for 3 years and am sick of it. How to I disable the ABS system on my X? Can I just unplug a wheel sensor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the relays to the ABS...

Are you sure it's not your rotors?

there should be a fuse

you might check your front hub bearings first, if those are going that could cause pulsing

For sure not rotors or hub bearing it did it when I got the truck and after I put new brakes on all around. From what I understand it is one of the sensors in the front hub. Not sure which one it is but you have to replace the entire hub from what I know.

yes that would be it its about 120 bux per side and you have to do both....its really not bad there's some very helpful "how-too's" on this site i did it in about 3 hrs and i'd never replaced a wheel hub like that before

here is the thing my wheel hubs do not need replacement so until they do this is my solution. Does anyone know if this affects the auto 4x4?

here's the thing... How do you KNOW your hubs dont need replacement...

everytime I had a hub go bad I couldnt tell by driving it, heck one time it didnt even grind, but some how it was setting off the ABS by shooting metal fragments at the sensor

easy way to tell....pull the ABS fuse in you fuse panel in the engine bay.....the ABS light will be on in the dash....but if it stops the pulsing your hubs WILL need to be replaced....if it doesn't stop the pulsing your rotors WILL need to be replaced my friend...try that and get back to us......my abs was jacked and my hubs had no play in them and were not grinding at all

Does anybody know the fuse number? My owner's manual was stolen, and the Haynes manual doesn"t list the fuses. Mine are pulsing too, and no.... it's NOT the hubs. They are fine, and I removed the sensors to check them for metal filings or dirt. The sensor or the socket are not working and I don't want to spend the $300 right now to fix a system on the truck that I don't even want.

J

Back