Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Can I open the liftgate window without a remote?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Lebowski
Crestwood, KY
2005 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Can I open the liftgate window without a remote?

I just bought a used '05 Explorer from a Chevy dealer and all they gave me was one key and no remotes. I already found out that I'm going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed. Now I'm wondering if I can open the liftgate window without a remote. The owner's manual only mentions using the remote. Is there another way? Thanks in advance....
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Limited02
Elite Explorer
Gardner, KS

'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Yes. Just to the right of the handle that opens the liftgate should be a rubber coated button. Push it and the mid-gate will open

Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
WoodrowCall
Greenvillle, SC
'04 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

I just discovered this yesterday; I was really happy about it.
WoodrowCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Artica
N. Huntingdon, PA
2001 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I already found out that I'm going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed.
Why are you going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed???

Last edited by Artica; 06-01-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Artica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Lebowski
Crestwood, KY
2005 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited02 View Post
Yes. Just to the right of the handle that opens the liftgate should be a rubber coated button. Push it and the mid-gate will open
Thanks for the info. Why isn't that in the owner's manual?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Lebowski
Crestwood, KY
2005 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artica View Post
Why are you going to get ripped off getting a second key programmed???
From some of the threads I've read here a Ford dealer will charge between $100 and $180 to program a key since I only have one and can't program it myself. That seems excessive to me. I'm going to try to find a locksmith that will do it for $50 or less. I bought two keys on Ebay ($20 including shipping for both from a seller called "keygirl") and my local hardware store will either cut them for free or a couple of bucks each. Then I'll look for a couple of remotes which are also pretty cheap on Ebay....
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
muzzymaniac
Kent, NY
04 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

Deff look into the locksmiths - I found one that did for $54 key and all. Screw Ford and they're $95.

There's a button for that??? Really?????? Damn - I'm going out in the dark to check!
muzzymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Limited02
Elite Explorer
Gardner, KS

'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

[QUOTE=muzzymaniac;2473919]Deff look into the locksmiths - I found one that did for $54 key and all. Screw Ford and they're $95.

There's a button for that??? Really?????? Damn - I'm going out in the dark to check![/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Did you find the button?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
muzzymaniac
Kent, NY
04 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

YES!!!! Son of a bit**!!! All these years of thing Ford was completely retarded! I always kept one of my factory remotes in the console for one of the 5 times I've ever used it. You're my hero!
muzzymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Limited02
Elite Explorer
Gardner, KS

'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymaniac View Post
YES!!!! Son of a bit**!!! All these years of thing Ford was completely retarded! I always kept one of my factory remotes in the console for one of the 5 times I've ever used it. You're my hero!
Now that's funny, made my day Glad to be of help!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
v8mouse
bridgewater, mass
91 Eb /95xlt /04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I was wondering the same thing!!!!! This board rocks!
Thanks guys
Can you just program the key yourself?
v8mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
snickstx
Fort Worth, TX
'03 EBX

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8mouse View Post
Can you just program the key yourself?
On-Board Programming Method "C"

for Ford keys (Later 1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
If you want to initiate a new master key....

1. This requires that the vehicle be connected to special dealer equipment. There are two ten minute delays involved while this device erases all existing key programming and sets up the vehicle computer to accept new key codes. Two new keys should be ready because the system requires a minimum of two keys in the program. After the first two keys are programmed, additional keys can be entered individually by following the instructions for adding duplicate keys (below).
If you want to add a key....

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5
snickstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
mikeinri
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)

Vehicle Specs

A hardware store near me recently added a sign saying they can now make and program the special keys (so you don't need to go to the dealer). I haven't had time to ask how much or whether they can do it with just one key.

There was also a thread here recently, someone was trying to tap into the switch wires (on the rear hatch window switch) to add a remote (hardwired) switch in the cab. Never heard if he finished.

Mike
mikeinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Bani
Vancouver BC Canada
2005 XLT V6 45,000 Miles

Vehicle Specs

Hi Limited 02,

When you say” Just to the right of the handle that opens the lift gate should be a rubber coated button. Push it and the mid-gate will open”

Where is this handle that opens the lift gate? Is it on the driver’s side or is it in the trunk?

(The lift gate which is the 5th door always opens just the same way as other doors do – but where is this handle)

I have been trying to find out How to open the rear-window glass without using the remote.

Thanks.
Bani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
bender
Johnstown PA
'08 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am shocked so many people werent aware of the button. the rubber button is located to the right of the back hatch handle which is above the license plate take your hand to the top right hand side of the license plate and you will feel the button up under the "license plate finisher"
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
gbranh

Vehicle Specs

Thanks! That makes another one of us that didn't know this button existed.

I just called the wife and told her, and she said "I don't believe it, I'm gonna go look". So, with me on the phone, she walked out to the garage, and sure enough, I hear this "click", then "son of a b**th".

Too funny!

Greg
gbranh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Lebowski
Crestwood, KY
2005 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
More people would know about this button if Ford had mentioned it in the owner's manual, but they didn't, so people have to find out about it by word of mouth (or web sites like this).

I called my local Ford dealer which is 1/4 mile from my house and they will program a key (that I bring them which is already cut) for $42.50. A locksmith in Louisville said he'd do it for $25 and another one said he'd do it for $35 so I guess it's cheaper here than other parts of the country. I'll probably get it done at the Ford dealer across the road from me instead of making a 60 mile round trip into Louisville. The two keys I bought on Ebay will hopefully arrive tomorrow so I can take care of this tomorrow afternoon....
Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
miker104
N KY

'04 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Damn! Been bitching about that window hatch for 5yrs!!! It's there on my 2004 as well.

Thank you!!!
miker104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

so cool, but yea, its in my '04 owners manual. . .buried somewhere. . .
keypad opens it too, after the code hit 5.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
DLinkOZ
Frisco, TX
2004 NBX

Vehicle Specs

I knew it had to be there somewhere, I had faith that Ford wouldn't omit something so critical. So when my wife and I left the dealership the day we bought it, we stopped at the store on the way home and needed to open the glass. Couldn't find it, called our sales guy and he knew right where it was. Probably wasn't the first time he'd been asked.
DLinkOZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page