3rd row seat in a 2001 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd row seat in a 2001 Explorer.

Fair Play

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to install a 3rd row seat in a 2001 Explorer without having to spend over $800.00?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know some people have mounted a seat in the cargo area sideways, I have a pic from one in the junkyard at home, I'll have to look for it...

Here is the one that was at the junkyard. Sorry I couldn't get a better angle, the hatch was jammed closed, I could only get shots from teh back seat and the hatch glass. :(

Sep19_0004.jpg

Sep19_0003.jpg

Sep19_0002.jpg

junk yard seat

Do you know what that seat came out of?
I'd much rather have a front facing seat (safer for little ones).
I can't afford a $400.00 3rd seat installed (cheapest I've found so far).

looks to me to be a standard explorer 2nd row 60/40 seat, that one being the 60 portion.

Yeah, I think it was a Ranger or Ex seat. Honestly though, there aren't any options vs. custom. Nobody makes a bolt in 3rd row seat, it would be something you'd have to tackle yourself to get the price down.

JC whitney does and there is also another company, but they are asking over $400.00 and $800.00 respectively.

Thanks for all the help. Still thinking.

I agree, and on this application, space is limited, and safety becomes a factor. In most states if you add more seating capacity to a vehicle, it most have safety restraints. I have seen a shoulder harness added to a rear seat by tieing into the shoulder belt mount for the 2nd row and then mounting the belt roller to the floor and a buckle pigtail to the other side. But to me with the space restraint, I find it useless and out of place back there. Just my 2 cents worth.
If you are going to tackle it yourself, do it right, and not half ass. You may want to check into something like a jumper seat from a ext cab Ranger or a Dodge Dakota, I beleive the Dodges jumper seat mounts to the side of the cab, just like you need it without much modification, and with a jumper seat you can fold it up when not in use and have storage space restored when needed.

Yeah,
Saw that thread a while back. Fat chance of me finding that same seat. If I could I would (and put a nice seat cover on it). In regard to the other reply . . . I think there is a place to mount shoulder harnesses in the back.
Just sick of the 3 kids side to side with no room to move (stinking car seats) and especially when they get on each others nerves.

Back