Blew fitting o-ring on low side of condenser ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blew fitting o-ring on low side of condenser ?

TANSTAAFL

Reaction score
City, State
Topock, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baure
Have a 98 Explorer, was idling in 115 degree ambient temp (AZ) with AC on for about five minutes. Noticed puffs of vapor emitting from grill, opened hood to check and found it was R134A venting from outlet side of condenser, shut down AC. Lost some compressor oil, but not too much.

Got home and hooked up AC manifold gauges, was zero PSI on both sides, had a can of UF dye and dumped some in on low side with engine running and AC on max, compressor was clicking on and off. With UV light, almost immediately found the leak at condenser fitting, which I assume means a blown o-ring.

I haven't broke fitting as of yet, was told this could be tricky, is there anything special I should be aware of when replacing o-ring?

About two weeks ago I replaced the AC compressor (which was easy after reading threads on the procedure from SE forum members) accumulator (dryer) o-rings on compressor and lines I opened up. 6oz pag oil added to components and charged with R134A, AC was on max, ambient temp was about 100 degrees, I had 40 psi on the low side and 220 psi on high side. Next morning with unit off and pressure equalized, had 90 psi on both sides, later in day as it warmed up, was over 100 psi. AC had since been operatring great until this occurrence.

I think in the future when stopped on hot days, should go for high idle with AC on to get air moving across condenser, as at low rpm idle and air flow, the high pressure side likely sky rockets.

Hello Tanstaafl
Drive past Topock monthly going to Meadview! In fact heading back last week my 2002 Exp A/C quit there before the trip back.
n your 6/9 post in the last paragraph I assume you had 40 lbs on the low side with the compressor running and Ta= 100F. And the system cooling normally?

Hello Tanstaafl
Drive past Topock monthly going to Meadview! In fact heading back last week my 2002 Exp A/C quit there before the trip back.
n your 6/9 post in the last paragraph I assume you had 40 lbs on the low side with the compressor running and Ta= 100F. And the system cooling normally?

If you were on I-40, Topock is at the AZ/CA bridge, but we actually live five miles up river in Topock/Golden Shores where the Topock post office is and the names are used singularly or interchangeably. When we retired in 1991, looked at some property up around Meadview and almost bought it.

Your assumption was right.

I found the problem, when went to loosen bolt at condenser fitting, it was only hand tight and the o-ring was blown. Replaced o-ring, added one ounce of PAG oil (from immediate area did not appear to have lost much) along with three ounces of R134A, then followed with 24 ounces of R134A. AC unit now working like a champ, 30 psi on low side and 225 on high side and has never put out cooler air.

Thank goodness it is a dry heat (Ha) and with the 10% humidity no moisture got into the system.

Forgot to mention earlier in this summer, my problem turned out to be that the "dryer can" internally ruptured letting silica gel into the system.Lucky the in line exp valve screen backed the crud up so two replacements and 1/2 system flush did the trick!

Sorry you didn't choose Meadview. A buddy of mine chose Park Moabi years ago -- my opinion is Moabi/ SBD County rip him off BIG TIME! I pay less taxes, and own the property including real frame & stucco buildings! He rents and pays taxes!

-Dave (W0BS)

Back