Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

A question about EPC solenoid compatibility between 4R55E transmissions...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
J.Rovirosa
Socal
1995 & 2003 Limiteds

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Smile A question about EPC solenoid compatibility between 4R55E transmissions...

Hey guys,

Getting ready to dive into updating a few of the common problem areas on my 255K mile '95 Limited's trans. (adding drain plug, shift kit, updated separator plate gaskets, updated solenoid bracket, band adjustment, etc) and figure that I might as well replace the EPC solenoid while I'm at it. The trans is a Ford remanufactured unit and has roughly 55K miles since I had it installed, and I'm assuming they didn't replace the solenoids on the rebuild.

Shifting seems okay, if not a little soft, but occasionally the rpm will rise quite a bit and the trans will refuse to upshift if the gas is floored at freeway speeds and a downshift occurs, which I guess is a shift flare issue? Also, around every 10K miles, the trans will go into limp mode and throw a code, which until recently I didn't know I couldn't read with my OBD2 scanner. Hasn't happened recently, so I have no idea what the code is. The trans does start to shift firmer just before it happens. I do get the off-throttle, downshift clunk when coasting to a stop and there's also a slight delay when going into reverse. Fluid looks okay, but I think I'll avoid getting it flushed (third transmission it's had, first two were flushed religiously and both still died around 100K freeway, no-towing, miles).

Finally, on to my question I'm assuming the transmission is correct internally for a '95 Explorer. I haven't torn into it to see what's in there...just gathering parts right now. But if it's for a later model Explorer that uses the red-banded EPC solenoid, should I use the green-banded solenoid that's correct for a '95? In other words, are there other internal differences in later model year transmissions that would dictate I use anything other than the correct solenoid for a '95? I'm guessing that the type of solenoid used is only determined by the PCM used, but I want to make sure before I buy the solenoid.

Thanks

'97 Cobra (black/black, bolt-ons, garage queen #1)
'04 Lightning (black/gray, stock, gas guzzler, garage queen #2)
J.Rovirosa is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
The EPC & TCC solenoids on the 4R55E (95-96) are different than the ones used on the 5R55E (97-01). The range sensors are different as well.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
J.Rovirosa
Socal
1995 & 2003 Limiteds

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the 4R55E was used after '96.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
IronIndian
Glendale, CA
1991 Mazda Navajo

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 96 xlt has a 4r55e with the green band EPC. I tried to "upgrade" my green to red and it backfired. The trans shifted funky and just felt wrong. Put the green one back in and all went back to normal...

Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
J.Rovirosa
Socal
1995 & 2003 Limiteds

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Much appreciated...I'll order the green one.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Check WWW.800700Tran.Com.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
PUR PONY
CT
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
question to this... i have a 96 limited with a rebuilt ford tranny as well. It has 60K on it and is flaring up.

I put a rebuilt valvebody in it 10K miles ago that helped the flare but its now back!..... Im pretty sure the rebuilt valvebody i but in was late model... so im guessing its a 5r55 valvebody??? I just put the superior shift kit in and and all the indications from the directions show i have a 5r55 transmission int he truck.... does this sound correct? The EPC solenoid thats in it now is a RED band and it was working fine... so I am guessing i want to replace it with a RED banded one.... correct?

--1998 Explorer XLT - V8, AWD Wifes ride (78K miles) -- FOR SALE
--2006 Explorer EB 4x4 - Loaded... Just Purchased 3/16/12
--1996 Mountaineer - Smashed parts truck.
PUR PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

It sounds like you put a 5R55E valve body into the 4R55E transmission.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page