Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Bronco II > Bronco II

Notices

Bronco II Our Ford Bronco II forum covers maintenance, problem solving, 4x4 issues, and all topics regarding the 1984 - 1990 Ford Bronco II.

1984 Bronco II with problems.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
zw
montana
84 bronco2

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Unhappy 1984 Bronco II with problems.

hi I just bought a 84 bronco 2. new moter and tires decent shape. I am just a cowboy that uses this rig to drive back and forth to the ranch I am mechanicly inclined but dont have a clue on this one. It runs like a top until it gets up to good hot running temp. Then it runs ruff and sometimes dies. Ive tried a new coil and have looked the obviuse stuff over the main thing that cocerns me is that the previuose owner took alot of the smoge stuff off and I dont know were to start with the loose ends. I think it is electical but not shure.
zw is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Bronco II section.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
n2epv
Pittsfield, MA
04 XLT 4.6, 97 Mounty 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Sure sounds like the TFI going bad - as in Thick Film Ignition. The TFI is the ignition control module, which is inside the distributor. It works OK until the heat from the engine pushes it over the brink and no more spark. Next time it dies completely, see if it has any spark from the coil.

Ford had a class action lawsuit on this. I had an 84 Tempo (same engines as the B-II if I recall) - Ford sent me a recall and apology letter covering towing costs. Get your VIN number and call Ford. If they won't still cover it in a recall, at least they can give you 30 seconds of advice to confirm the problem.
n2epv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
n2epv
Pittsfield, MA
04 XLT 4.6, 97 Mounty 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Here's a great link covering your ignition system.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...iagnostic.html

Probably an easy replacement on your B-II, but getting that thing replaced on my Tempo (with the cramped engine compartment) was a real bear.
n2epv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
zw
montana
84 bronco2

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks a lot. For the advice.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
zw
montana
84 bronco2

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
another ?

Im getting 16.5 mpg with an 84 bronco. Not bad I dont think For a 84 anything. But I wonder if the milage would go up if I cut off the cat and maybe changed the muffler. Does anyone have any insight on this
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Deuling
Muskegon Michigan
1986 Ford Bronco2 4x4 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Idk if you fixed your problem or not but this sounds like what was happening to mine exactly.

I would replace the filter on the line up by the driver door first, and also their is a small filter that looks like a round K&N air filter inside fuel regulator. Mine was really plugged and caused all kinds of problems.

The regulator is located on the passenger side on the inner frame. It is a round plastic looking thing. Take a pipe wrench, or big pair of channel locks and unscrew it. The filter will come out with it. If you cannot easilly blow throw the hole on the top get a new one, dont even bother cleaning it.
$5 at auto zone. If not that then you may have some really plugged injectors.

Just a thought, and a few cheap easy fixes that did wonders on mine.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=278246
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
84 b2 problem

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page