Broken or misaligned gear shift indicator. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken or misaligned gear shift indicator.

alda

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I own a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS with about 95K miles. My gear shift indicator is laying to the far right. I am able to shift the transmission into Park and all other gears, but I have no indication which gear it is in. Is there a fix for this indication problem that I can perform or must I take it to a dealer's shop?

Thanks

Alda:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there's a small cable for the selector behind/ under the instrument panel it has probably slipped off. here is a pic of an older one to give u an idea of what to look for.

picture.php

my adjuster is broken, anyone have a part number for a new one?

Mine was broken as well, I used two zip ties to fix the adjuster in the right position. Not sure to what degree your adjuster is broken. But it my case it was just the retainer clip that holds the adjuster in place. So I used the method that many used to fix the throttle cable slack by pulling out the slack and adding two zip ties. Just did it this morning, worked like a charm.

i just found the part, its only $16 so i ordered a new one

good to hear glad we could point u in the right direction!

the part number was 4L2Z7A110AA

Recieved the part the other day and installed today, very easy to do. Only one bolt. Now the indicator works perfectly and was worth the $16.

Recieved the part the other day and installed today, very easy to do. Only one bolt. Now the indicator works perfectly and was worth the $16.
Where can I find instructions on how to replace the gear indicator? Thanks

Back