Really killing the BONG

jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
I've finally done it, the BONG is dead!

Since I've owned the EX the 'ignition key in when the door is open' alarm has had a mind of its own with the only way to stop it was to give the lock a jiggle.

even my 2 year old has grown up copying the sound when it's going off.

but whilst lubricating the upper steering column bearings this evening I noticed a single wire and plastic clip was loose in the ignition switch, giving it a wiggle the BONG sounded, the clip that holds it on is bust so I've 'disabled' it with my wire cutters :D

I now wish I had taken the steering cowl off months ago, only visions of having the switch fall apart on me stopped me from touching it!

BONG free at last :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yer did mine when I did the clockspring ....the peace ..no more -insane in the membrane!

Yep- fist mod I always do to a newly acquired ride is to remove that wire. I hate that wire. :D

LOL...the Bong is dead!

phelpsads-1.jpg

Just kidding here! Haha.

Seriously, anyone have a picture of said offending wire? I hate that chime with a passion. I would like to do it in both my 94 & 95.

sorry all bolted up again.

but youo can't miss it

new moon shaped plastic clip that fits on the underside of the lock barrel on the end.

PS what's that glass thing the guy is holding in the picture? Some sort of wind instrument I suppose

Whoever owned this truck before me must have clipped the wire because I've never heard the key-in-the-ignition warning before. Either that or the car was broken into, because the one Ford key that they gave me doesn't work, and the generic PATS system key that I have does... who knows...

I'll have to trim the wire in my Z because it drives me insane. I used to own a Volvo and for some reason, that function had it's own fuse. In the manual even, one of the fuse slots was labeled "Key Reminder" or something of the sorts. I just removed the fuse and all was well. In the Z, I attempted to do the same thing, but apparently there are more functions tied to that one fuse, such as the left and right directional "click" sound. I put the fuse back in after realizing on multiple occasions that I had been driving for significant amounts of time with my blinker on.

Bringing this back from the dead.... is this where all the bongs come from ??

Pretty sure its my airbag light causes my truck to bong constantly. Pretty annoying and im havent had time to pull the guage cluster. This is a much quicker way to deal with it..

I want to be bong free too.

PS what's that glass thing the guy is holding in the picture? Some sort of wind instrument I suppose

That glass thing is what got that person on the other end more gold medals than any one else in history.....................

It is an Olympic size cereal spoon.:D

Thanks for posting a picture of this stupid thing. Maybe someone can make a Shocker or a Tazer to let you know you forgot your keys in the ignition or you left the door ajar(its a door, not a jar sheesh), or left your lights on. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting a picture of this stupid thing. Maybe someone can make a Shocker or a Tazer to let you know you forgot your keys in the ignition or you left the door ajar(its a door, not a jar sheesh), or left your lights on. :rolleyes:

I don't mind the lights on thing (it's actually saved me more than once). The bong has been pissing off many a passenger in the 4 Explorers I've owned in the past. Its days are numbered. :D

so what wire do i actully cut?

so what wire do i actully cut?

Seems to be only one wire connected to it (at least that's how I see it). Or at least a whole bunch of wires under that black insulation.

there is only one wire and it works by grounding it to complete the circuit

Decided to tackle the 94 bonging.

It is different then the 2nd gens I guess. There is no moon shaped plastic deal to remove or a wire to cut that completely kills it on the column.

The ignition switch is worn and loose on it causing the bong to go off like the keys are still in it when the doors are open. I found a single wire from the ignition itself leading to a connector around the middle of the column. Unplugged it, bong ceased. Turned on the headlights, bong returned. Started the engine, the bong worked for the seat belts. So the bong works for everything else except the ignition switch, which is perfect for me.

Looks like this. 3 phillips head screws to get to it.

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

Any kind soul who'd be able to tell me what the part number for the green clip is? I've been trying desperately to find it out on the net so I can find a replacement for it maybe on ebay or amazon but had so far came up empty handed. Would also appreciate it alot if someone can point me to an online site where I can order the clip. Thanks much for any inputs.. :)

sorry all bolted up again.

but youo can't miss it

new moon shaped plastic clip that fits on the underside of the lock barrel on the end.

Yes, thats a middle east flute- its tuned to 440, so makes a lovely sound and usable in western music, or even apache!

Decided to tackle the 94 bonging.

It is different then the 2nd gens I guess. There is no moon shaped plastic deal to remove or a wire to cut that completely kills it on the column.

The ignition switch is worn and loose on it causing the bong to go off like the keys are still in it when the doors are open. I found a single wire from the ignition itself leading to a connector around the middle of the column. Unplugged it, bong ceased. Turned on the headlights, bong returned. Started the engine, the bong worked for the seat belts. So the bong works for everything else except the ignition switch, which is perfect for me.

The first gens are actually really easy, there is a little plastic box under the dash around the cigarette tray area with a big connector and a bunch of wires going to it. I just unplugged the one in mine, no more sounds for anything.

Of course if you still want the sound for headlights and seatbelts, then you did it the right way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back