Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Check Charging System

Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Fordy55

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dk Exp Check Charging System

Yesterday I was driving, and the "Check Charging System " message popped up on my message center and also a light came on. It went away seconds later, but then came back two more times but they went away after a few seconds. This used to pop up often, and when my car was getting another problem fixed at the Ford Dealership they replaced my alternator (few months ago).

Today when I was driving a heard the beep (the beep that goess off when there is a message or low fuel level), but no lights came lit up on the dashboard and no message came up. I heard this beep a few times...

Any ideas what the beep is or why it said Check charging system?

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Squirrelmaster
St. Paul, MN
'04 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

My first guess would be a failing battery, second would be corrosion build-up, and third would be worn cables (since you had the alternator recently replaced, it doesn't make the list). Check your battery's voltage when off, cranking, and running. Then inspect it for cracks, leaks, bulges, or fluid level (if it is serviceable). Along with that, check the terminals for corrosion buildup, as well as the ends of the cables going to/from the battery, alternator, and engine block. Then also check ground cables for corrosion, as well as verifying there are no split, cracked, fractured, or cut cables in any of the above. That should give you a good baseline to start with. Good luck.

Tom

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Squirrelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Fordy55

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster View Post
My first guess would be a failing battery, second would be corrosion build-up, and third would be worn cables (since you had the alternator recently replaced, it doesn't make the list). Check your battery's voltage when off, cranking, and running. Then inspect it for cracks, leaks, bulges, or fluid level (if it is serviceable). Along with that, check the terminals for corrosion buildup, as well as the ends of the cables going to/from the battery, alternator, and engine block. Then also check ground cables for corrosion, as well as verifying there are no split, cracked, fractured, or cut cables in any of the above. That should give you a good baseline to start with. Good luck.
Battery Voltage with multimeter = CHECK
Cables were replaced 2-3 weeks ago = CHECK
Corrosion = Check
Tightness = Check
all the wiring = Check

Maybe a belt problem? I'm not too good with engines so I don't know how to check the belt. I heard that might be the problem...

Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Squirrelmaster
St. Paul, MN
'04 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Have you scanned your Explorer for diagnostic trouble codes?

Tom

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Squirrelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
db04
wilmington ohio
2004 eddie bauer

Vehicle Specs

My check charging comes on to and I replaces the cables terminal and had the battery check and alter. Check yet it still comes on any help would be great thanks
db04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
check the connectors going into the back of the alt...sometimes they get corroded inside.

Mods: 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ on 17x8 Black Rock Viper 900B wheels, Bentley style grille, Raptor style LED grille lights, Pacer performance clearance lights, 30" 180W LED light bar behind grille, BTF upper control arms, Fox 2.0 5" travel emulsion coilover shocks in front/rear Truxx spacers, 1" body lift, front skidplate under radiator, recovery shackle mounts
My Rig:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...47#post3004247
Ronin8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
jaydez
Hartford County, CT
2005 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

check to make sure your batter cables are tight. Last time I had work done at a dealership on my Fusion they didn't tighten the cable and I kept getting the message when I would hit a bump.
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
phouse
Phila PA
1991 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

DB04 and Fordy55,, what fixed the problem?? This forum only works when we follow up with solutions to our problems

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon V8 Factory Bucket seats
phouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
fedyfedz
Suffolk County, NY
2002 limited v8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
not sure if this is relevant or not but , i heard that same beep twice and it was driving me crazy, i found out my back hatch wasn't closed securely and every time i went over a bump it would beep but wouldn't say door ajar it was weird..also when i was low on brake fluid when i would floor it or go over a bump i would hear the same beep but no message displayed. i refilled brake fluid and it went away. Both situations it was the same beep as stated in first post. sorry if this is off topic.

fedyfedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
phouse
Phila PA
1991 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Update.. 2005 Explorer V8 XLT Battery light on and The "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" on the message center was on after using a refurb from Auto Zone
AutoZone alt. was returned,, I was getting a full charge, but i don't think it was talking back to the truck to turn the the battery light off in the truck even though everything else was working, meaning 14volts and charging.. got a full refund..
took that money to the Ford dealer and got one from them..
Part # F8OZ-10V346-CARM This one had a 3 terminal connection I believe the AZ one only had a 2 terminal connection, even though the cable from the truck had only two wires the green and orange one.. The middle connection was not being used i guess.. any way all is well..

Got 14 Volts on the B+
Got 14 Volts on the Batt terminals
The "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" on the message center is off
The Battery Light is off as well..

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon V8 Factory Bucket seats
phouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page