Automatic shift lever problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic shift lever problems

sportrak

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2001 4.0 with auto trans. I've done an archive search but didn't find much. I think I was having problems with what terms to use for the search. Recently, I've noticed that when I shift the lever into park the trans does not "lock" on the detent and it slides backwards on the detent (dangerous). Also, it doesn't always start because the nuetral safety switch is activated. It also feels sloppy when shifting from park into drive. I'm wondering if others have experienced this problem. Is there a common problem with the shift lever, cable or ???? Thanks. It has 141000 miles on the clock!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks NC, is this accessed by removing the lower dash plastic panel? Or, is it just a matter of getting up underneath without removing any panels. I read the link and it sounds as though one can reach up and tighten it without much trouble. But, wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

I "believe" it is one of the shifter cable mounting bracket bolt that comes loose. I haven't encountered it yet so I can't say for sure. Heard people say it can be replaced/tightened by reaching up under the dash, but I don't know that for sure.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219144

Easy Job

To repair the shifter cable bracket:

1/4 ratchet
T-30 Torx bit socket
4 inch extension
and about ten minutes of your time, if you use these tools you will be able to access both bolts

The bolts are mounted vertically so the heads face the firewall. They are located above the steering column knuckle and back about an inch. The bolts are about 1-2 inches apart. I'm 6 feet and 200lbs so access isn't that bad. You will need to be on your back (on the floorboard) with a decent light source. Of note, there are two similar bolts below the steering knuckle that are likely the same size so if you need to size the torx bolt head use those for reference (they appear to hold the steering knuckle in place). I found that both were loose and a quick tightening cured the problem.

cable is tight

The cable is tight. My son in law was under the truck when I worked the shifter. When I would try and put in park and it woouldn't go he could push it the rest of the way in and the same with first he could pull it the rest of the way out. Is there somewhere else the cable may have slack in it other than the brackets described.

Thanks

not sure I can help as the loose bracket was my problem. I suppose a stretched cable or worn bushings (if there are any) could be the problem. Did you check where the cable attaches to the shift lever arm?

Adjustment Procedure:

Selector Lever Cable Adjustment
Rotate the gearshift lever clockwise until it bottoms out (first gear), then rotate it counterclockwise two detents ((D) position).
Hang a 3 lb weight on the gearshift lever.
Raise and support the vehicle.
CAUTION: Adjust the shift cable only in the (D) position.

Adjust the shift cable.
Disconnect the shift cable from the manual control lever.
Insert a flatblade screwdriver between the end of the shift cable adjustment lock tab and the housing and twist the screwdriver to disengage the lock tab snaps. Pull the shift cable adjustment lock tab outward to the unlock position.
Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.
Rotate the manual control lever forward until travel stops. Then, move the manual control lever back two detents to the (D) position.
Connect the shift cable to the manual control lever.
Push the shift cable adjustment lock tab inward to the lock position.
ShiftCableAdjustment.jpg

Lower the vehicle.
Remove the 3 lb weight.
Verify that the engine will start in P and N and that the reversing lamps illuminate in R. If not, repeat the adjustment procedure.

I hope this solves my problem as well. Mine is that the shifter on the column seems loose and the gear indicator is off. some times it will show that im in 2 or 1 and actually be in reverse. Poses to be a problem at the boat ramp lol. Any way Thanks for the information, i'll let you all know it it works in the next few days.

loose shifter

Thanks, you were right. I finally did find the bracket that was loose and tightened it up and everything works fine now.

Thanks Again,

lou

Well i tightened the first screw then went to look for the second, and it was no where to be found. Im guessing this is a common problem with ford. Dads F150 and F350 both have had about the same problem. Well after tightening the screw and hitting the junk yard for another one i noticed that the gear indicator was still off so i found the adjuster screw for the cable that comes from the shift linkage got 1 turn out of it and the plastic broke. Looks like another trip to the junk yard next weekend for me.

The Information in the post above was very helpful thanks for your help. IF anyone knows how to get the cable out of the gauge cluster let me know Thanks.
John

Had the same problem.. turns out that the bolt on the steering column were the root cause
used a T27 and tighten it up real quick
thanks for the help again

I'll chime in on this thread and maybe save someone some cash. My dad started to experience the same problem. A no start condition that required jiggling (sp?) the shifter lever through the gears to get the truck to start. He figured it was the neutral saftey switch on the side of the tranny at the shifter arm. $60 later, same problem. Lots of screwing around and fiddling and still could not get the truck to start consistently. Low and behold after reading this thread, the under dash bracket was loose as a goose.

Tightened that bad boy up and all the problems went away. I am 6'1" and 240lbs and I was able to get at the 2 bolts without removing anything. 10 minute job, tops.

Here's a bad cell phone pic taken from my back looking at the bracket and the two bolts. As stated above the 2 bolts are Torx, I forget the size. The bolt heads are facing the firewall, so you end up under the dash and have to look towards the rear of the vehicle to see them.

I wish I had more to offer the forums, but its my dads truck so I don't get involved unless pooh has hit the fan.

Chris

shifter fix

To repair the shifter cable bracket:

1/4 ratchet
T-30 Torx bit socket
4 inch extension
and about ten minutes of your time, if you use these tools you will be able to access both bolts

The bolts are mounted vertically so the heads face the firewall. They are located above the steering column knuckle and back about an inch. The bolts are about 1-2 inches apart. I'm 6 feet and 200lbs so access isn't that bad. You will need to be on your back (on the floorboard) with a decent light source. Of note, there are two similar bolts below the steering knuckle that are likely the same size so if you need to size the torx bolt head use those for reference (they appear to hold the steering knuckle in place). I found that both were loose and a quick tightening cured the problem.

Worked like a charm thank you so much for the info...
:)

Easy way to check for this is lay on floorboard, shine light up in bracket area and move shifter back and forth, if the bracket is loose you will see it move. I thought my mom had internal column problems in her mounty until I started looking around. I went from a PITA column job to a simple job of securing a couple bolts and she was on her way.

I recently bought an explorer with this problem, however, the bottom bolt is gone anyone know the size and where i could find one

Edit: I would go to a junk yard however they are few and far between here as opposed to where i learned vehicle in the desert. All I have is 4xprice we pullits and homedepot

Found a bolt great fix. Im 6 5 240 and i did it.... might wana warn its rough on the back.

Some advice.. you dont need a light if you park away from the sun. It will shine in and illuminate very well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shift Lever Loose Scammed or Lucky?

Quick question, how easy is it to get your shifter cable/lever loose? Reason being is that last night when I started my 96 Explorer, the transmission shift was so loose except for "P" and "1" and "2". I kept messing around with it with no success. Then less than 5 minutes later, a self-professed expert/mechanic magically showed up and offered to help (I was at a Target store parking deck in Atlanta). It took him less than 20 minutes to fix it and I believe he did exactly what was in this post. I say this because he layed on his back under the driver side dash and told me that he was tightening something. After that, he demanded $45 from my wife & I. I only gave him $23 since that was all the cash I had with me.

Did i just get scammed? I ask this because the guy seemed to know exactly what the issue was and just the coincidence of having this "expert" pop out of nowhere at the right time. How easy is it to get this thing loosened up? Is this a common problem with old Explorers? I got 177K miles on mine.

Thanks.

Back