Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.


Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

remove&replace lower ball joints(2004 ford ranger)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
tedshreds
san clemente,california
2004 ford ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
remove&replace lower ball joints(2004 ford ranger)

i wanna remove and replace my lower ball joints on 2004 ford ranger.. anyone got any tips or instructions?
tedshreds is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.


Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
McCormack
S.E. WI
2000 Ranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 114

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshreds View Post
i wanna remove and replace my lower ball joints on 2004 ford ranger.. anyone got any tips or instructions?
They're a bear to do, so give yourself plenty of time so you don't have to rush things. Also, make sure your replacement ball joints are equipped with zerk fittings for greasing... I put new non-greasable ball joints in my '00 at around 80,000 mi, and at 140,000 mi they already need replacing again.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Jack Flash
Ethel, MS
(3) '88 BII's, '99 Ranger
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 377

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I replaced all 4 ball joints on my ranger last year. the bottom ones were easy and pressed out and in with one of those "borrowed" c-clamps from the "Zone". the uppers were another story...had to take the a-frames off and put them in a shop press to get the suckers out.

,
,

J...like McCormack said, get the greasable ones when you replace them.




__________________
Jack of All Trades
Retired From Most
www.internationalcuemakers.com

www.jimboarmy.com
Latest Project: '86 Ranger 4X4
Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 267

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just did the uppers and lowers in my 02 4x4 ranger. they are the same as the explorer so you can hop over to that forum and look at one of the how to's

the lowers have to be pressed out/in. with the uppers, if you are still running the factory control arms, you need to replace the control arms. the aftermarket control arms have servicable upper ball joints but the original equiptment do not.




__________________
2002 Ford explorer 4dr eddie bauer 4.0 auto 4wd
2002 ford Ranger 4dr XLT 4.0 auto 4wd
1995 ford explorer 4dr XLT 4.0 auto 4wd
1969,1970 Mustangs
dmac0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 267

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
here is a basic overview of the process

remove wheel.

remove brake caliper and bracket and rotor

remove dust shield.

disconnect abs wire

remove all cotter pins from castle nuts

remove castle nuts from upper and lower joints

remove upper ball joint pinch bolt from knuckle

take mini sledge and whack upper control arm/ball joint out of knuckle

knock knuckle off of lower ball joint

press lower ball joint out of lower control arm

remove upper control arm from fram

press new lower ball joint into lower control arm

install new upper control arm.

take knuckle and place on lower ball joint first, then align stud for upper ball joint

secure/tighten nuts install cotter pins

install dust shield, brakes, connect abs wire

get alignment




__________________
2002 Ford explorer 4dr eddie bauer 4.0 auto 4wd
2002 ford Ranger 4dr XLT 4.0 auto 4wd
1995 ford explorer 4dr XLT 4.0 auto 4wd
1969,1970 Mustangs
dmac0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
davidg25
Wake Forest, NC
2000 Ranger XLT 3.0L Flex
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ball joing replacement procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac0923 View Post
here is a basic overview of the process

remove wheel.

remove brake caliper and bracket and rotor

remove dust shield.

disconnect abs wire

remove all cotter pins from castle nuts

remove castle nuts from upper and lower joints

remove upper ball joint pinch bolt from knuckle

take mini sledge and whack upper control arm/ball joint out of knuckle

knock knuckle off of lower ball joint

press lower ball joint out of lower control arm

remove upper control arm from fram

press new lower ball joint into lower control arm

install new upper control arm.

take knuckle and place on lower ball joint first, then align stud for upper ball joint

secure/tighten nuts install cotter pins

install dust shield, brakes, connect abs wire

get alignment

Did you not have to compress the spring and remove the strut? I have a 2000 and the Haynes manual says that I have to do that (as well as support the assembly with a jack).

Anyone? If there's a 'fast track' (all things considered), please point me in that direction.

tx,
dave
davidg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
McCormack
S.E. WI
2000 Ranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 114

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg25 View Post
Did you not have to compress the spring and remove the strut? I have a 2000 and the Haynes manual says that I have to do that (as well as support the assembly with a jack).
Use your lower A-arm as your jacking point* and then the weight of the truck will keep the spring compressed and you can then undo your spindle and change out the ball joints.
*Or else jack your truck up and then lower it onto blocks that are placed under the lower A-arms.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
davidg25
Wake Forest, NC
2000 Ranger XLT 3.0L Flex
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Use your lower A-arm as your jacking point* and then the weight of the truck will keep the spring compressed and you can then undo your spindle and change out the ball joints.
*Or else jack your truck up and then lower it onto blocks that are placed under the lower A-arms.
Got it - it just looked like it was better to deal with the steering knuckle than taking out the spring and lower control arm as the Haynes manual said to do.

Now I'm just trying to get the lower ball joint separated - it's really a mess.

THANKS !!!!!

dave
davidg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Suggest this thread to friends:



Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!



Search Explorer Forum


Top of Page

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.



US Flag
We Support Our Troops!

Explore the site!


Copyright 2014 - 1996 Rick Horwitz Photography



Ford Motor Company is not involved in the management of this site in any way.



All tips on this site are for use at your own risk and discretion.

Modifying the suspension on any vehicle will cause changes to its handling characteristics.



Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.