Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

1997 Mercury Mountaineer with an alignment problem.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
lynn48
Leesburg, TX
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1997 Mercury Mountaineer with an alignment problem.

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 90,000 miles - I had new upper and lower ball joints replaced because I noticed the rubber boots around them had cracked. The upper control arms were also replaced as required by Ford. It was done by local Ford House. They had latest frontend alignment equipment. The tech had trouble aligning frontend within spec. He had to adjust torsion bars on both sides to finally get alignment barely in spec. Adjustment of torsion bars raised frontend of vehicle about 2 inches. The vehicle has never been in a wreck or driven off road. I questioned the tech on the alignment problems with no acceptable conclusion. He can lower frontend back down, but it will be out of alignment. No warm fuzzy about vehicle sitting up in front. What do you think? Thank you.
lynn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Kevlar7R
Elite Explorer
Phoenix, AZ

1997 Mountaineer 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It probably is sitting correct in the front now, and sagging in the rear. These trucks have a tendency to wear out the rear springs. I threw a set of lifting shackles on the rear at around 110,000 miles to level the truck out. Sits night and level now.
Kevlar7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
boominXplorer
Elite Explorer
Virginia Beach, Va

00 4x4 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Do you have the camber and caster specs before and after?

2002 Explorer 4dr for Parts
My eBay auctions
boominXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn48 View Post
1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 90,000 miles - I had new upper and lower ball joints replaced because I noticed the rubber boots around them had cracked. The upper control arms were also replaced as required by Ford. It was done by local Ford House. They had latest frontend alignment equipment. The tech had trouble aligning frontend within spec. He had to adjust torsion bars on both sides to finally get alignment barely in spec. Adjustment of torsion bars raised frontend of vehicle about 2 inches. The vehicle has never been in a wreck or driven off road. I questioned the tech on the alignment problems with no acceptable conclusion. He can lower frontend back down, but it will be out of alignment. No warm fuzzy about vehicle sitting up in front. What do you think? Thank you.
my opinion?
have them check ride-height. If ride-height is out of spec, it will cause alignment issues without camber adjuster bolts for the upper control arms.

although they should have done this before and/or after adjusting the torsion bar bolts.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
zero_chance
Woodstock CT
00 Mountaineer Premier

Vehicle Specs

Like has been stated, if the front was sagging to begin with, this may be normal... but it makes me wonder if the tech doing the job knew how to adjust camber and caster properly... or if the arms weren't installed correctly. Sometiems people take the easy way out when installing the eccentric adjusters which leads to almost no adjustability for caster / camber.

Ford certified technician - ASE A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7 and P2 Certified
Owner - SDP Performance
zero_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
lynn48
Leesburg, TX
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
my opinion?
have them check ride-height. If ride-height is out of spec, it will cause alignment issues without camber adjuster bolts for the upper control arms.

although they should have done this before and/or after adjusting the torsion bar bolts.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
lynn48
Leesburg, TX
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I can't find anywhere on the web what the ride-height of this 97 Mountaineer should be. Is the measurement from floor to bottom of finder well over tire on all four corners or from floor to bottom of spring shackles as in clearance? I know he raised the front of the SUV by 2 inches using torsion bar adjustments and did not raise the back at all. He said this brougnt it barely in spec. When I took it in for ball joint replacement, I had no problems. No signs of abnormal tire wear and tires have 15K miles on them. Frontend is higher than back.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn48 View Post
I can't find anywhere on the web what the ride-height of this 97 Mountaineer should be. Is the measurement from floor to bottom of finder well over tire on all four corners or from floor to bottom of spring shackles as in clearance? I know he raised the front of the SUV by 2 inches using torsion bar adjustments and did not raise the back at all. He said this brougnt it barely in spec. When I took it in for ball joint replacement, I had no problems. No signs of abnormal tire wear and tires have 15K miles on them. Frontend is higher than back.
I've posted this a few times...

Quote:
RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

To perform the ride height check and adjustment requires the use of special slip plates under the front wheels. These plates allow the front suspension to properly settle by bypassing the tires adhesion to the ground.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. If equipped with ARC suspension, disconnect the front and rear air lines at the shock absorbers.

2. Position frictionless slip plates under the tires then lower the vehicle onto the slip plates.

3. Bounce the vehicles front and rear suspensions several times to normalize the vehicle static ride height.

4. Measure the distance between the center of the lower control arm bushing bolt and the ground. Record the measurement as dimension A.

5. Measure the distance between the lowest point of the steering knuckle (but not the ball joint) and the ground. Record the measurement as dimension B.

6. Subtract dimension B from dimension A for ride height.

7. For vehicles without ARC suspension, ride height should be 4.33-4.56 in. (110-116mm).

8. For vehicles with ARC suspension, ride height should be 3.26-3.50 in. (83-89mm).

9. To increase the ride height, raise the vehicle and tighten the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Recheck the ride height.

10. To decrease the ride height, raise the vehicle and loosen the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Recheck the ride height.

11. Once proper ride height is established, raise and support the vehicle.

12. If equipped with ARC suspension, connect the front and rear air lines at the shocks.

13. Remove the slip plates from under the wheels.

14. Lower the vehicle.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
lynn48
Leesburg, TX
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks Gavin, I'll check it out.