Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

What is the BEST transmission fluid for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT???

Old 07-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
mkewitsch
Des Moines, IA
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
What is the BEST transmission fluid for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT???

Hi. I'm a young lady trying to learn the best care for my vehicle. I know the 2002 had lots of issues with the transmission so I'm wanting to do my best to keep it in the best shape possible.

Anyway, in just learning about proper transmission care I've heard about the connection between fluid having a high heat cutting the life of the transmission and fluid having a low heat being one of the best ways to extend the life of the transmission.

Out of everyone's experience, what is the BEST transmission fluid for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT so I can keep the transmission in good shape for as long as possible? The manual says MERCON or MERCON V ... but is that really the best one for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I love driving my Explorer and I would hate to have to have a transmission rebuild b/c of not taking care of it properly.
mkewitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
synyster
Hammond IN
'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

mercon should be just fine for it...its not what kind of fluid you put in the trans..it's more of how you treat it. heating the fluid excessivley will cause it fail you early, damaging the trans. Overfilling it too and even underfilling it can cause it to fail on you. As long as you dont put it under greats amount of stress for long periods of time it should be just fine on the mercon fluid. and either way the trans is going to heat up to the normal operating temp, which is somewhere around like 200 degrees farenheit. making it go over that is what will cause it to burn up and fail.
synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
mkewitsch
Des Moines, IA
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synyster View Post
mercon should be just fine for it...its not what kind of fluid you put in the trans..it's more of how you treat it. heating the fluid excessivley will cause it fail you early, damaging the trans. Overfilling it too and even underfilling it can cause it to fail on you. As long as you dont put it under greats amount of stress for long periods of time it should be just fine on the mercon fluid. and either way the trans is going to heat up to the normal operating temp, which is somewhere around like 200 degrees farenheit. making it go over that is what will cause it to burn up and fail.
What is considered "treating it" well? Would driving long distances on the freeway be bad for it, or something else? What is an acceptable amount of "stress" in general? What are things that I can do as the driver to keep if from going over that temperature?

Sorry for so many questions. This is very new to me.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
synyster
Hammond IN
'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Driving it on the freeway and long distances are just fine. Try not to punch the throttle hard or try to do burnouts. Normal driving will ensure that you get the longest life out of the trans before you have to overhaul it. If you don't put excessive stress on it them you could probably get 200k and even 300 k on one trans
synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
xlt03
Bay Point, CA
2003 XLT 4.6 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Excessive stress can be from towing a trailer or boat etc. up a long grade or mountain roads which would cause trans to be more heated. Just a FYI, if you are going a long grade and find it keeps shifting from Overdrive and the next gear, click the O/D button off so the trans does not hunt for gears. Not sure I would power flush the transmission. Inclined to drain the pan instead. See the transmission section for procedure. There's a post there if I remember correctly.
xlt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
mkewitsch
Des Moines, IA
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlt03 View Post
Excessive stress can be from towing a trailer or boat etc. up a long grade or mountain roads which would cause trans to be more heated. Just a FYI, if you are going a long grade and find it keeps shifting from Overdrive and the next gear, click the O/D button off so the trans does not hunt for gears. Not sure I would power flush the transmission. Inclined to drain the pan instead. See the transmission section for procedure. There's a post there if I remember correctly.
What exactly is "O/D" and is it on automatically? Should I just keep it off in general?

And I should drain pan & check for shavings, etc. correct?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
xlt03
Bay Point, CA
2003 XLT 4.6 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
O/D (overdrive) is the little button on the end of your shift lever. Leave on for regular driving. If trans has been recently serviced I'd leave it alone. Why create issues.
xlt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
daveleeander
Elite Explorer
Marietta, OH
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Put some Amsoil tranny fluid in it and run it for 75k to 100k between flushes. CHange the filter every 2nd flush. Take care of that tranny and it will take care of you.

D
daveleeander is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page