1997 Ford Explorer alternator replacement help is needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer alternator replacement help is needed.

fz4zlm

Reaction score
I'm a cartoon guy. My sister bought a 97 Explorere (Eddie Bauer Edition). Alternator blown on it. I verified via jumping battery and testing it as good. Took truck to AutoZone and I love it when they prove me right. (a rarity)

So now, I'm ready to replace the sucker. Does anyone have picture of bolts to be removed? There's alot of "stuff" on top of alternator and I want to see if there is easier way to remove alternator without removing anything extra!

Thanks!
Memphis Phil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1). Remover the intake tube from intake manifold to the MAF sensor
2) Disconnect battery
3). Remove serpentine belt (they make a long specialty tool for this to make it easier)
4). Remove three large bolts (I think they are 5/8" but can't remember
5). Disconnect the three wire connector to the voltage regulator
6). Disconnect the large wire to the alternator... top SOHC and back on OHV engines

Installation is reversal of installation I just gave you.

Ok. Got it done and found that it was easy enough that I had my 15 yr old nephew do the work while I supervised with a beer in my hand!

However, I ran into a strange deal.

The vehicle is undoubtedly titled a 97 Ford Explorer so I naturally got an alternator from AutoZone for a 97 Ford Explorer. However, upon removing the old alternator, it was very evident that the new alternator was not the same size as the old one. The back bolt was anywhere about 3/4" further back and the casing was that much thicker as well.

So, I took both alternators back to Autozone and the guy was awesome in looking as several boxes....to find that the one removed from vehicle is the same one as a 2000 Explorer (dual lower bolts closer together and thinnner chassis than what the database stated). My thinking is perhaps they had engine replaced, but the original owners (friend of family) said that it's the original engine. I'm now thinking that maybe Autozone's database may be wrong.

ANyone think of another reason?

Anywho, it's replaced with lifetime warranty alternator! Thanks for the help!

Back