Interior Light Relay Location? couple of other questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Light Relay Location? couple of other questions

cougarmandan

Reaction score
City, State
Bonanza, AR (Near Fort Smith, ARK)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB 5.0L AWD
This is on a 2000 Explorer EB AWD 5.0L. I've searched and searched and I have read online and in the service manual (Factory Ford on CD) that the GEM controls an interior lights relay. I checked the owners manual and the cd but I can't find where this relay is located. I went through the list of the power distribution box and none of them list one that just says interior lights. Is it built into the gem? Part of the light swtich? or located somewhere else? My interior lights do not come on when you open a door. The door ajar light doesn't come on unless you have a door open so I assume those are working correctly. You can manually turn the lights on with the light swtich so I wanted to check that relay.

I read on here somewhere the other night that there are only 2 versions of the GEM module. I was going to replace the light relay if I can find it and then I was going to look at the GEM module. If I read correctly, the battery saver module can turn them off so anyone know how to test one of those?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not positive on this but that relay might be in the back with the PAT box (driver side in front of rear wheel well). The interior lights are suppose to come on when the vehicle is unlocked with the remote or keyless entry pad (lights work when either of these activated?). I think this relay is in with the PAT and the door switches work on the same relay. Look for info on Relay Box 4.

Ok, I found the elusive "relay module" and it basicly up under the dash above the gas pedal. I popped the cover off. Now, I just need to know which relay. I bought the Ford Repair manual CD's off ebay a long time ago and they are good sources of info, but the good old fashioned paper book seam to be so much easier to find info. Anyone have a diagram of which relay goes to what?

The only way the interior lights come on is when you turn them on with the light switch. The relays in the power distribution box which is the one located under the hood on the drivers side, only have grouped things in the light relay. When you look up the functions in the owners manual, there isn't a relay that does just interior light. I can't remember off the top of my head waht its coupled with, but the other functions like parking lights or whatever and everything else on that circuit seam to be working. When you look up the schematics on the cd, it shows a "relay module." I found a component location of the dash area and it shows it so I was able to located the module and it has several relays. I can take a picture if anyone is interested. According to the picture, it has interior lamp relay, dimmer relay, battery saver relay, one touch down relay, headlamp relay, parking lamp relay, and acc delay relay.

Ok, mail just ran and I have the paper Ford service manuals and within 3 minutes I found the relay module on page 13-26. And,as luck would have it, there is no relay located in the interior lamp relay location. I bet it was removed for a reason, and I bet I am opening up a whole new can of worms, but I am going to get a new relay when in town here shortly.

Well, guess that's what happens when you get old and try to remember things past yesterday. Should have remembered about those relays from when I hunted down the battery saver relay a few years ago.

Can't help with which one does what but you can test them with an ohm meter and use some small alligator clip leads to the battery to activate the relay. There's a diagram of the connections to the terminals on the case of the relay.

NO = normally open = open circuit when relay not energized
NC = normally closed = closed circuit when relay not energized
reverses when relay energized

You can't always hear the relay click (at least I can't but I don't hear as well as I use to) but you can feel it if you hold it when you energize the coil.

If any of the relays have the same part number, you can also swap them around.

Well, the relay was missing and Oreily's was having trouble finding the part number listed on the computer, but I decided to try the fog lamp relay and it appears correct to me. Since its missing, I don't have one to compare. It looks like the other relays so I got it and popped it in and bang, lights come on. I close the door and lights stay on. So I start checking doors, i see the door ajar light is on and it hasn't been. It beeps when you open each door until I get to the hatch. I close it and lights go off. Open it, back on, and so forth. Guess I didn't close the hatch when I was playing back there. Anyways, everything seams to be working right now. :) My big question now on the hatch is, where do I spray the WD-40 to make sure the switch stays lubed?

The switches are attached to the latch mechanism on all the doors - both sides on the hatch. They are activated by a cam or lever. You shouldn't have to lube the switch, just the latch. If you really want to get to the switch, you have to remove the latch. Careful with the retaining clip on wire connector - they are brittle and break easily

On the wife's 97 expedition we used to have, the door ajar lights would come on all the time and stay on. You could open and close the doors and slam them shut and the door ajar would not go off. I wound up taking to the stealership and they told me that they door ajar switched would need to be replaced most likely, but to spray wd-40 in the latches and it might fix it or even prevent it on the other doors. It helped with how often it would occur, but it still would do it occasionally. It really bugged my wife so I replaced them all and ever since I try to keep wd-40 in the latches and so far, it seams to be working on my other vehicles. With the Expedition, they told me a certain way to spray it so that it get the switches. I don't really remember, but I just give everything a good coat and make sure its covered.

Back