Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

A/C switches from vent to defrost when going up a hill

Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Convict1997
Concord, NC
1996 2wd XLT 4.0 OHV auto

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
A/C switches from vent to defrost when going up a hill

In my 2002, when driving up a hill, the a/c will change from the vents to the defrost. Once I get up the hill, it will switch back to the vents. Sounds like some kind of vacuum issue. It only does it if I stay off the gas and make the truck stay in o/d. If I use the button to turn o/d off or give it enough gas to down shift, then it will stay on the vents. I've also noticed a hissing sound coming from under the dash when I initially press the gas. Could these two be related? Maybe a leaking vacuum reservoir, or something?
Convict1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
general x
Hopeless addict
Red Deer, Alberta

91 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like your on the right track, but it seems odd the hissing only starts when you begin to press the gas, it should be most prominent when at full idle. Perhaps the gas pedal linkage happens to be stressing some nearby vacuum lines under the dash? I am not familiar with how the vacuum lines are run so you would have to check. One way to check for leaking vacuum lines it to spray a combustible gas around them (Think brake cleaner or WD-40) If the idle surges when sprayed then your in the right area. That may leave a nasty smell if you do it INSIDE the cabin so you may want to play it by ear and see if you can't find the leak by sound.

It may also mearly be the way the vacuum setup is designed. I have a 88 grand prix that will do the same thing no matter what you do, it's vacuum setup is simply not designed to handle full throttle and maintaining vacuum to all the accessories. It has no leaks however so that would be a good place to start
general x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
mulletcar
Ringgold, GA stationed at Nellis AFB, NV
05XLT 2WD

Vehicle Specs

sounds like you either have a loose/leaking vacuum hose or a directional door with a pinhole in the diapgragm. Oh yeah, 3rd gen X's are drive by wire so you can scrap the throttle linkage idea
mulletcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Convict1997
Concord, NC
1996 2wd XLT 4.0 OHV auto

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
it's vacuum setup is simply not designed to handle full throttle and maintaining vacuum to all the accessories
It's weird, though, that it only does it when I keep the rpm's low and have a load on the motor, such as when climbing a hill. If I keep the rpm's up, then no problem.
Convict1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
mulletcar
Ringgold, GA stationed at Nellis AFB, NV
05XLT 2WD

Vehicle Specs

believe it or not, the vacuum is higher at idle than full throttle because when the throttle plate is closed it introduces a restriction which increases vacuum
mulletcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page