Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Soft Brakes???

Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
erald01
canton, mi
1998 Explorer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Soft Brakes???

Okay so i have been doing some major naintnance on my 1998 5.0 EB edition explorer. My rear brakes were starting to make noisy so i figured i would change the pads and the rotors. Changed the rotors and the pads, and when i started to drive the truck i noticed the break pedal is very soft and to break the pedal has to travel pretty far. I didnt do anything else but change the brakes, i tried bleedin them but no luck since the bleedin nipples are seized. I have no leaks because i checked the fluid every day for a week and it's still the same level.

How do you guys bleed ur brakes when the bleeding nipples are seized?? Why my brakes feels soft, could be a bad caliper somewhere in the back?? Btw the truck has 156,000 miles. Any tip is apprecited, thanx
erald01 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
safn1949
Mankato, Minnesota
M60A1 my first offroader

Vehicle Specs

Ok,it could be a caliper piston is stuck and here is how you find out which side.Get a pair of vise grips and gently clamp off one rubber brake line in the rear,be careful as you can easily damage the lines.

Now try your brakes,if they are solid now then you have a problem with the caliper or (extremely rare) the wrong brake pads.Try one side at a time to see if it makes a difference.

The brake pad thing I have seen once in my time,some dope put the wrong pads on his Honda and the brakes were soft,he brought it to us and we did the above only to find the pads would not move in the caliper so they simply bent and sprang back when the brake was applied.

safn1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
erald01
canton, mi
1998 Explorer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
k thanx ill def try that, as for pads i know its the right ones lol...what about if there is air in the lines, how can i loosen up the bleedin nipples?
erald01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Mbrooks420
High Voltage.
Erie, Pennsylvania

1998 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spray the bleeders with wd-40 for a few days. Then apply some heat. Use the proper 6 pt socket, and you will probably be able to break them free. You can also heat, and spray with wd-40, or PB Blaster. Sometimes the heat helps wick in the penetrating oil.

1999 KTM 300exc RaceTech Suspension, Rekluse Slipper Clutch, single track killer
Mbrooks420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
safn1949
Mankato, Minnesota
M60A1 my first offroader

Vehicle Specs

If it's air and the bleeder breaks,just go get a rebuilt caliper.I wouldn't think they would cost that much.

safn1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page