• Register Today It's free!

antifreeze type

justinf89

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt 4x4
What kind of antifreeze do our trucks need? Prestone fit-all? I think I remember seeing orange in there but I'll look later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The green stuff.. Orange stuff is bad. mixing the two types also causes catastrophic failure.

Yea I went out and looked in the manual for the spec on the antifreeze and it looks like prestone reg green meets it. I also do have the green in there, I was thinking about my duramax. Thanks

I used the Peak Global Lifetime antifreeze. I believe it was orange....

Claims it is "compatible" with all colors and Ford:

Ford ESE-M97B44-A
Ford WSS-M97B44-D
Ford WSS-M97B51-A1

Did a complete flush and replaced the thermostat at the same time. Lets hope Peak knows what they are talking about....

I used the Peak Global Lifetime antifreeze. I believe it was orange....

Claims it is "compatible" with all colors and Ford:

Ford ESE-M97B44-A
Ford WSS-M97B44-D
Ford WSS-M97B51-A1

Did a complete flush and replaced the thermostat at the same time. Lets hope Peak knows what they are talking about....

How long have you been running it? The "new" breed of antifreezes, (Prestone orange) came about as a direct result of massive warranty claims against G.M., some years back, after they had gone to a plastic intake manifold which "normal" antifreeze ate through! I noted that the new stuff came out priced 2X the old, and prices have scarecely come down, maybe even went up, since!

imp

2 years now. Do I need to be concerned? Changing anti freeze is one of the easiest things to do on the Ex.

2 years now. Do I need to be concerned? Changing anti freeze is one of the easiest things to do on the Ex.

NAH, I'd keep driving it. If some other issue comes up (maybe water pump replace), the juice will get changed then.......imp

(Just MHO)

i always use Peak 50/50 (green). never had a issue w/it. plus its nice to get that $5.00 rebate back on each gallon.

Thanks for the info. I think there was a decent rebate on the Peak & it was on sale too. Marketing always gets me with "lifetime" or "best" terms along with price. Ex hasnt been my daily driver for many years, so the longer fluids last the better for me.

The green stuff.. Orange stuff is bad. mixing the two types also causes catastrophic failure.

I mixed orange (dont remeber the brand) with my current green antifreeze just a month or 2 ago. So far nothing has happened to get me worried.

how much do i add for a SOHC, just one gallon or the whole 14 quarts if im empty(doesnt overheat takes forever to get to warm temp and dont see anything in hopper thing) ?

Stay far away from Dexcool (orange). It solidifies when introduced to oxygen...hell I wouldn't even run it if I had a GM that required it.

Back