Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

Does someone know how to remove a 2002 Ford Explorer stereo?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
leongto
leon, gto
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Does someone know how to remove a 2002 Ford Explorer stereo?

Hey i need some help from someone who knows how to take off a stock stereo of a 02 ford explorer 4dr 4x4. I tried to take of the plastic trim but it just seems to not come off and i dont want to break it. Im a little low on money so can someone tell me a cheap way to take the radio off.
leongto is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
desert_rat84
Bandera, TX
2004 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

First this is the wrong forum for these questions...

and just to get the question answered...

for the plastic trim i believe there are two screws that need to come out before you can unclip it. after those are out just give it a little tug around the edges it should snap out.

then to get the radio out take an old metal coat hanger, cut it and bend it to where you can insert the ends into the holes and be able to unclip that then it should slide out..

If I am wrong someone correct me. however I have been looking at my mom's for the past few days and that's how it seems to me.

Last edited by desert_rat84; 08-14-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: forgot to add the wrong forum thingy.
desert_rat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the audio & navigation section.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leongto View Post
Hey i need some help from someone who knows how to take off a stock stereo of a 02 ford explorer 4dr 4x4. I tried to take of the plastic trim but it just seems to not come off and i dont want to break it. Im a little low on money so can someone tell me a cheap way to take the radio off.
JT in MD has a great thread for removing and installing the radio here.

He has an '05 but your '02 will be the same. It's pretty easy to do. Good luck and please let us know how you make out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
desert_rat84
Bandera, TX
2004 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

im sorry to make it seem like im a punk but that trim is different than the earlier models that is what the next gen is. the first gen has a 1 1/2 DIN HU. but it is still a good thread none the less.... pictures always help so i'll try and snap some when i get the chance.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_rat84 View Post
im sorry to make it seem like im a punk but that trim is different than the earlier models that is what the next gen is. the first gen has a 1 1/2 DIN HU. but it is still a good thread none the less.... pictures always help so i'll try and snap some when i get the chance.
The OP has an '02. The poster in that link has an '05. They are both 3rd gens. I don't know what the problem is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Squirrelmaster
St. Paul, MN
'04 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRondo View Post
The OP has an '02. The poster in that link has an '05. They are both 3rd gens. I don't know what the problem is?
desert_rat84 has an '04 Sport Trac, which shares the interior with the second generation Explorers, and probably doesn't realize that '02 is the first year for the third generation 4-door Explorers.

As long as the OP has an '02 4-door (not a Sport Trac or a 2-door Sport), the link provided by BigRondo should work just fine.

Tom

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Squirrelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
desert_rat84
Bandera, TX
2004 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

yes sir that was exactly what I was thinking... damn lucky dogs got the nicer dash.. =o\ anybody try doing a dash swap yet? or even get dimensions to make the center trim fit in the ST? sorry for the thread jack... pm me if there is any talk of it. I am definitely liking the DD over D1/2 players
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Squirrelmaster
St. Paul, MN
'04 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_rat84 View Post
yes sir that was exactly what I was thinking... damn lucky dogs got the nicer dash.. =o\ anybody try doing a dash swap yet? or even get dimensions to make the center trim fit in the ST? sorry for the thread jack... pm me if there is any talk of it. I am definitely liking the DD over D1/2 players
The second gen Explorer (and first gen Sport Trac) stereos are actually 9/10ths double-din, and all that is required to fit a double-din headunit in them is to trim the backside of the trim bezel on the top and bottom of the stereo opening. Countless people have done it on this forum, and it only takes a few minutes to do. Here is a thread showing what a few people have done: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ght=double+din

Tom

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Squirrelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
kelly2
Kansas City, Mo
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster View Post
The second gen Explorer (and first gen Sport Trac) stereos are actually 9/10ths double-din, and all that is required to fit a double-din headunit in them is to trim the backside of the trim bezel on the top and bottom of the stereo opening. Countless people have done it on this forum, and it only takes a few minutes to do. Here is a thread showing what a few people have done: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ght=double+din

Tom
yep yep. just order/buy the double din kit for the truck and cut out the upper and lower lip behind the radio and all is good. i put my pioneer d3 in my '97 explorer this way (and i install for a living)

Free advice is worth the price you pay.
kelly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
desert_rat84
Bandera, TX
2004 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

thats cool im hopin to save up the money to get one of those new avic models from pioneer. hopefully sooner rather than later i can get me a ST I just like having a bed to put stuff in... I'm actually wanting to open my own car audio business I got me a lil somethin goin on facebook as a business n what not just haven't got my certs n what not yet. though I am hoping to get all that done soon too. Think I'm in too deep sometimes when it comes to all the different stuff I am planning out on doing haha... oh well thats life.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
need help how to

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page