Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Street Truck & Performance Forums > Street Trucks > Need for Speed!

Notices

Need for Speed! Explorer, Ranger, Mountaineer 4.0 - 4.6 - 5.0 Nitrous, Superchargers, Camshafts, Head Work, Stroker Kits... DRAG RACING. Explorers, Mountaineers and Rangers CAN move!

Electric supercharger?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
drothgeb
Blacksburg, VA
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Electric supercharger?

So when looking a thread on this site I saw this link posted right under the search part. Is this just another con like the tornado or a cheap mod that may be worth it?

I'm very skeptical but figured I might as well ask if anyone's heard/experienced any results. Figured it wouldn't be linked on this site if it sucked but I may be wrong...

Thanks,

Dave

here's the link:
http://www.superchargertuning.com/Ford/Explorer/
drothgeb is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Scam.
Attached Images

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
section525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
drothgeb
Blacksburg, VA
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
hmm..figured. Why is it posted on the site's page then? haha
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
unreasonable claims

The addtional information states that the kit includes a 900+ watt electric motor that spins to over 20,000 rpm in a few milliseconds. It also states that the 10 blade turbine achieves maximum boost in less than 1/10th of a second. The supercharger weighs less than 5 lbs and comes with 2 to 3.5 inch rubber couplers.

1. 1 hp = 745.7 watts, 900/745.7 = 1.2 hp
A 1.2 hp series wound electric motor would be at least 3inches in diameter. When mounted in line with the turbine it would block the airflow. The motor actual power is probably less the 1/4 hp.

2. The inline turbine blades will not generate any significant boost. A centrifugal blower or positive displacement blower is required for boost.

3. The claim that maximum boost is achieved in less than 1/10th of a second substantiates that there is little (if any) boost. It would take a 10 hp motor driving a centrifugal blower longer than that to achieve 5 psi of boost. A 10 hp motor would draw 548 amps at 13.6 volts.

I investigated the possibility of using an amusement park racing cart motor to drive a Rotrex or Vortech centrifugal supercharger. It would have required as a minimum a 24 volt (dual 300 amp alternators and dual batteries) system to power the electric motor. The weight of the motor (38 pounds) and extra alternator and battery as well as the space required for them and the supercharger made the system impractical for the limited (30 second) performance capability.

Electric supercharger
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
drothgeb
Blacksburg, VA
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yeah that turbine is located directly inline with the intake tube. Seems that it would hurt more than help...

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I appreciate it. I'll add this to the tornado and other useless "goodies" that are for sale for dummies.

There should be a thread of gimmicks out there like this.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't think we can do too much choosing of what pops up. I think we are linked with an advertiser, and their clients' products show up. We even get Tornado and electric supercharger ads on the eBay bot, but that doesn't mean that the forum endorses the product... Kind of sucks, it would be nice if we could filter the riff-raff ads.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
drothgeb
Blacksburg, VA
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ooh ok, wasn't sure what the deal was.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Nate_V8
Norwood, Ontario
1997 5.0 limited

Vehicle Specs

omfg don't buy one like retarded ricers do please!!!!!!

Might as well stick a bloody electric room fan in front of your intake...let me know if you see any gains lol

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page