Electric supercharger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric supercharger?

So when looking a thread on this site I saw this link posted right under the search part. Is this just another con like the tornado or a cheap mod that may be worth it?

I'm very skeptical but figured I might as well ask if anyone's heard/experienced any results. Figured it wouldn't be linked on this site if it sucked but I may be wrong...

Thanks,

Dave

here's the link:
http://www.superchargertuning.com/Ford/Explorer/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scam.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 720

hmm..figured. Why is it posted on the site's page then? haha

unreasonable claims

The addtional information states that the kit includes a 900+ watt electric motor that spins to over 20,000 rpm in a few milliseconds. It also states that the 10 blade turbine achieves maximum boost in less than 1/10th of a second. The supercharger weighs less than 5 lbs and comes with 2 to 3.5 inch rubber couplers.

1. 1 hp = 745.7 watts, 900/745.7 = 1.2 hp
A 1.2 hp series wound electric motor would be at least 3inches in diameter. When mounted in line with the turbine it would block the airflow. The motor actual power is probably less the 1/4 hp.

2. The inline turbine blades will not generate any significant boost. A centrifugal blower or positive displacement blower is required for boost.

3. The claim that maximum boost is achieved in less than 1/10th of a second substantiates that there is little (if any) boost. It would take a 10 hp motor driving a centrifugal blower longer than that to achieve 5 psi of boost. A 10 hp motor would draw 548 amps at 13.6 volts.

I investigated the possibility of using an amusement park racing cart motor to drive a Rotrex or Vortech centrifugal supercharger. It would have required as a minimum a 24 volt (dual 300 amp alternators and dual batteries) system to power the electric motor. The weight of the motor (38 pounds) and extra alternator and battery as well as the space required for them and the supercharger made the system impractical for the limited (30 second) performance capability.

Electric supercharger

Yeah that turbine is located directly inline with the intake tube. Seems that it would hurt more than help...

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I appreciate it. I'll add this to the tornado and other useless "goodies" that are for sale for dummies.

There should be a thread of gimmicks out there like this.

I don't think we can do too much choosing of what pops up. I think we are linked with an advertiser, and their clients' products show up. We even get Tornado and electric supercharger ads on the eBay bot, but that doesn't mean that the forum endorses the product... Kind of sucks, it would be nice if we could filter the riff-raff ads.

ooh ok, wasn't sure what the deal was.

omfg don't buy one like retarded ricers do please!!!!!!

Might as well stick a bloody electric room fan in front of your intake...let me know if you see any gains lol

Back