Mach subwoofer replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mach subwoofer replacement

floatingpig

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Just bought a '98 Mountaineer, it's my first car in fact...

I soon found out that the subwoofer in the Mach premium sound system is blown. As far as I know, it's a 8" JBL. It was $260+ to have it fixed through the dealership, so I have decided to go aftermarket. I purchased a new amp, which I should have no problems wiring up. I also bought a 10" shallowmount subwoofer to be mounted in place of the old JBL speaker, behind the factory panel.

What I was wondering is, do I need to fabricate a new speaker box for behind the panel? Has anyone done this and have any ideas? To save room, I was thinking that I would cut a hole to put the sub in, and mount some sort of box behind the panel.

Any ideas? Anything would be appreciated!
Thanks! :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock enclosure works fine, and fits perfectly obviously... :)

A JL audio 8W1v2-4 fits in the stock location perfectly and sounds great with an aftermarket amp...

What a sucky coincidence.....I reply to this post this morning and this afternoon I notice a funny sound in the Ex. Yup you guessed it the JBL sub went poof. :( Joe what did you have to do to add the aftermarket amp to the stock system?

hey nd4spd- sorry I didn't see your question... If you haven't fixed it yet, here is my writeup: CLICK ME

I replaced it with a JL Audio 8w1V2-4 sub from carstereoonline.com which fit perfectly, I re-tapped new screw holes, but just drove them in with my cordless screwdriver, no fitment issues at all.

I bought a new amp to drive it, the JL sub, and sub wiring install kit for $160 delivered.

Back