help with my 2004 explorer radiator flush | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with my 2004 explorer radiator flush

cfd911

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 xlt 4wd
hey gang i m looking to do a radiator flush on my 2004 explorer,

i need to know what kind of anti freeze to use color? and also the correct
procedure. can i get away with just a drain and refil, any information would be greatly appreciated thanks.....

A 2004 Explorer came from the factory with Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant. This is a G-05 HOAT coolant. Most easily you can find Zerex G-05 coolant at some autoparts places, or you can go to the Ford dealer and get the Premium Gold coolant - it should around $14 for a gallon of concentrate. Mix 50/50 with distilled water (best practice).

I would stay well away from Dexcool and Dexcool type coolants such as Prestone All Makes. In a pinch you could revert back to conventional green coolant, but if you do you will have to switch from the extended life schedule of G-05 (100K/5 years) to conventional schedule (30K).

Rumple

thanks for the help i used ford premium gold again with distilled water,

yes i agree about dex cool VERY BAD STUFF i had 2 gm trucks wth it, and everyone i

know it having problems with it and they havn t even gotten close to the the suggested mileage for a flush. it's BAD STUFF!!!!

Back