Has anyone ever replace window channel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone ever replace window channel

Dave01234

Reaction score
City, State
Irwin (Near Pittsburgh) PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 X, 89 Bronco II
I searched my a$$ off when you type window seal or channel and add replace in there it comes up with enough stuff to read for a week. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the window channel. The seal that goes the whole way around the window frame and its what the window goes into when its up. I got it off the hinge side but it runs down the track on the other side. Do I have to take the window out? Soon my truck will be mostly an Explorer but I guess I should buy a B2 book. Also if anyone has experience taking the rear hatch window out without breaking it let me know how its done. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you have to take the window out. I think you just have to remove the door trim panel and watershield.
The part that you did not get to runs further down into the door and has somekind of retainer near bottom.

Thanks rookieshooter, I have the whole door off the truck as I am painting the truck. The door panel is off and I unclipped the outside window seal and the other seal is on the door panel. It was getting near the end of the day and I was getting tired but for the life of me I couldn't see how the channel comes loose on that end. Like you said there must be a clip or something. If I gotta take the window out I will. Tomorrow is another day. I just ordered new ones this evening from the BroncoGraveyard but I want to get the old one off so I can paint the door. Hey was that you I was reading about your X was down and you found out that you had a cracked tranny? Years ago I had a Jeep truck J20 and the u-joint on the front drive shaft broke and the drive shaft swung around and hit the corner of the tranny and cracked it. I had it welded and I hand filed the bottom where the pan and the gasket met no matter what I did it leaked. Didn't gush but it leaked. Thanks for your input I have the body painted can't wait to get the rest of it painted so I can start my engine/axle swap. Starting to get cold here in S.W. PA so I wanted to get the painting done first

Attachments

• Painting 01.jpg
    Painting 01.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,516

I've never had the tranny crack on my X. I did have a car that had a cracked case and all I did was JB weld it and it ran fine until I hit a deer at 60 MPH and that was the end of that.

Nice looking Bronc. Like to see when finished.

Window Channel Felt

Dave,

I just replaced one on my 88 XL. My kit came from LMC Truck. It consists of a long piece of felt (channel shaped) and the rubber strips for along the top of the door, both inside and outside.

First, remove the rubber strips on the door. They are held by clips. Just pull up on them and they should release. Then remove the old felt channel from the front first. You will need to keep the plastic piece that is riveted to the channel felt at the front corner. Also keep the window rattle eliminator that is up about 10" from the front corner. These two pieces need to be reused.

The channel may come out in pieces, mine did, but the vehicle came from SC where there is lots of sun and hot weather. The rubber and felt were fairly well "cooked".

Pop rivet the corner plastic piece onto the felt channel in the exact location it came off the old channel. 1/8" hole for an aluminum 1/2" long pop rivet.

Push the felt down into the door frame window channel from the front first. After that is in position and the plastic piece is back in its original position, install the felt around the channel to about the top of the window frame at the rear of the door. Then push the felt down over the window into the window channel at the rear. You will be able to see how much you will need to finish installing it along the back of the window channel. The felt does go down the back of the channel fairly far.

After the felt is in the channel, wind the window up to check the fit. Then wind the window back down. Install the window rattle eliminator in its orignal location about 10" from the front corner.

Install the rubber strips along the top of the door being careful not to bend the clips as they go into their retaining slots.

I did not need to remove the inside upholstery, but mine is an XL not an XLT, so the door upholstery stops about 2" from the window on the XL.

Do one door at a time using the other one for reference.

Good luck,

Bill

That's a very good how to for those Bronco II window channels. I've only done the one on my 91 door twice. The 91+ trucks have a one piece part with the felt and steel channel attached together. For those the window needs to come out, and there are no odd parts to reuse. I've got four new ones for my 98 truck to do when it gets painted. They aren't cheap. Regards,

Thanks for all your help. I will be spending the day sanding and hopefully priming. Bill I am getting ready to go to the u-pull I will email you.

Back