I have only got half a clutch pedal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have only got half a clutch pedal

austinmob

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have bled the clutch several times but still only have half pedal feel. The clutch works fine and been told its ok. At idle the shifter is hard to get into 1st. If i give it a little rev it slips in fine. It just seems like it is not engaging properly.

Any takers on this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are you bleeding the clutch?

1. Attach tube to bleeder valve. Insert tube into jar with fluid already in it.
2. Depress clutch and hold
3. Release bleeder valve then secure
4. Release clutch.
5. Repeat process several time until no bubbles are present in tube or jar.

gmanpaint: Thank you Thank you Thank you! That video has demistified clutches for me!

Thanks for the youtube demo. I managed to leave mine in the car and do basically the same thing. Some air bubles did come out but im still only half a pedal. the Master has been making squeaking creeking noises lately so it could be that. any way this is how i did it.
1. removed master from firewall
2. unbolted pressure line form firewall.
3. unbolted resevoir
4. made up a wood frame to sit on enginge
5. attached resevior to top stretching out pressure line.
6. Tapped on line and forced rod in and out (i left the rod fitted)

The youtube demo had fluid flowing freely thru the system once attached to the slave. Mine did not free flow. It only flowed when i forced the rod in and out.

put it back together and still only half a pedal.

The demo shows tube going up and over, hence air bubbles get trapped. My 96 Aussie Explorer has no tubing going up hill. It travels straight accross the firewall then straight down to the slave. Once i had it up in the air it was all down hill.

Did you turn the slave bleeder far enough till the fluids free flowed? Once that bleeder is backed off, it will drain the system completely. That's why they say to have a friend to watch the reservoir to keep it full.

My guess is you still have air in the slave cylinder.

No i backed it off half a turn. Does it make a difference.

OK just back that bleeder off about 2 turns and the fluid flushed through nicely. I notices air bubles splattering out of the hose.

You were right. The slave had air and now its fixed.

Thanks for the video, thanks for the help. I,m a bit lazy so i really did not want to got stuffing about with slave connection. Just my luck i would have broke something. Thats why i chose to make a wooden frame over the engine bay to clamp the reservoir.

I have leraned alot.

From the land of OZ. Cheers

Dave

ive got pedal feel all the way in and out with exception of about inch from the top. Hasnt felt this good for a while.

Back