• Register Today It's free!

Flat Tow /Neutral Tow Kits

davidg837

Reaction score
City, State
Canyon Lake Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport trac 4 X
Good afternoon, does anyone know if my 2001 4wd sport trac can be towed as a Dinghy 4 wheels down behind a motor home?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Info I have found and to make it easier to search for I'll post the chart here. I'll get the full TSB's posted in the FAQ stickys.

NeutralTowKitApplicationChart01-03Trac.gif

NeutralTowApplicationChart04-07Trac.gif

Additional from FordFleet.com:
2009 Explorer & Sport Trac V6 4x4 only with dealer-installed Neutral Tow Kit (Part #1L2Z-7H332-AB)
2009 Explorer & Sport Trac V8 4x4 only with dealer-installed Neutral Tow Kit (Part #6L2Z-7H332-A)

I also just acquired a copy of the installation instruction sheet for the 3L2Z-7H332-AA kit. PM me if you'd like a copy.

Anyone know why a '01-'01 Sport/Sport Trac 4x4 would be different and no available kit?

That seems to be the question that can't be answered. I have been asking that same thing since I got the ST 2 years ago. Apparently, there is not a "kit" for the 01 ST 4x4, but there is for other 01 Explorer 4x4s . Why?? no reason given. I have asked if the 01 St transfer case could be manually shifted into the natural position (remove shift motor) and then be towed? No one seems to know for sure if the oil pump is driven off the input or output shaft in the 1354E transfer case. I assume if driven buy the output shaft the ST could be towed 4 down. SOOOO I just remove the drive shafts. I know "no help" sorry.

I bought my 2003 for the same reason. Was going to get a 2001 4x4, but ended up with the 2003 2wd and then bought a tow dolly, that I slip under the motorhome.

Does anyone have a copy of installation instructions for the neutral tow kit (Part #1L2Z-7H332-AB)? Fits a V-6 4X4.

I have them for the other two part numbers but not the 1L2Z-7H332-AB. If you locate a copy I'd appreciate it if you'd send me a copy.

Edit: Loren R sent me a copy of that so if you'd like it just PM me your email address or contact him at the info from one of his earlier posts.:thumbsup:

I have Ford PDF files for the Neutral Tow Kits. If you have a V6, you only need to install an LED Idiot Light on the dash. If you have a V8, you also need to install a switch. However, you don't need the micro switch shown in the instructions, you just need a plain toggle switch to "jump" two wires.

I made and installed my own for under $12. (Ford wanted $499 to install). The hardest part was finding a dealer that is capable of re-programming the ECM to "allow" Neutral Tow. I had to drive over 130 miles to get mine done.

Send me and Email and I'll send you the PDF and where you can buy the materials. ross0737 at aol dot com. I just need the year and engine size.

2005 Sport trac 4x/4 tow kit

Info I have found and to make it easier to search for I'll post the chart here. I'll get the full TSB's posted in the FAQ stickys.

NeutralTowKitApplicationChart01-03Trac.gif

NeutralTowApplicationChart04-07Trac.gif

Additional from FordFleet.com:
2009 Explorer & Sport Trac V6 4x4 only with dealer-installed Neutral Tow Kit (Part #1L2Z-7H332-AB)
2009 Explorer & Sport Trac V8 4x4 only with dealer-installed Neutral Tow Kit (Part #6L2Z-7H332-A)

I also just acquired a copy of the installation instruction sheet for the 3L2Z-7H332-AA kit. PM me if you'd like a copy.

I appreciate the chart you provided. According to that, there is a kit for the 2005 Sport trac 4x4. Do you have any experience as far as cost for the cost of the kit or installation costs? Thanks

Ford is supposedly making kits available again in April according to a post elsewhere. I do not know the validity of this info so treat it as hear-say. You may check with your Ford dealers parts Manager.

PM sent to clarkgriswold.

Yep, I've heard that also. I did find a couple of place that SAY they have the kit and I'm assuming that Ford can do the programming with the kit installed.

ncranchero, do you have the NTK PDF for a 2003 V6 AWD?

Thanks for your help!

I never HAD kits just some info. I sent it to you along with a contact that is an RV'er and has done some do-it-yourself projects.

It works!

As a follow-up.....

I installed a LED as directed by others and went to the local Ford dealer to reprogram the computer. Done deal and all works awesome!

Yep, that's basically all the NTK is but take the TSB or TSB number to the Ford dealership when you go to get it programmed as some dealerships don't have a clue what a NTK is. Loren can clue you in in everything you need.

Ntk

I hope this thread is still alive. I attempted to get the NTK from the local Ford dealer for our 2000 Limited V6 about 5 years ago. They ran the VIN number thru their system and said "sorry, does not apply to your car". So I gave up at that time. We continued to tow our 1996 XLT manual trans explorer behind the RV. Now the 96 has been a good vehicle but has over 300K miles and the end is in sight.

This thread has given us new hope that we might find a dealer that would be able to do the reprogramming. Maybe not our local dealer. Did I see a post from a Tennessee member that found a knowledgeable dealer?

Also would appreciate the list of the hardware parts needed for the kit.

Thanks, Mike
Yuba City, CA

:)
I hope this thread is still alive. I attempted to get the NTK from the local Ford dealer for our 2000 Limited V6 about 5 years ago. They ran the VIN number thru their system and said "sorry, does not apply to your car". So I gave up at that time. We continued to tow our 1996 XLT manual trans explorer behind the RV. Now the 96 has been a good vehicle but has over 300K miles and the end is in sight.

This thread has given us new hope that we might find a dealer that would be able to do the reprogramming. Maybe not our local dealer. Did I see a post from a Tennessee member that found a knowledgeable dealer?

Also would appreciate the list of the hardware parts needed for the kit.

Thanks, Mike
Yuba City, CA

Yep.....found a dealer in Cleveland, TN. They were great! All that's really required as far as hardware is a small digital LED. I believe I simply used a 12V LED that I bought at Radio Shack.

I have them for the other two part numbers but not the 1L2Z-7H332-AB. If you locate a copy I'd appreciate it if you'd send me a copy.

Edit: Loren R sent me a copy of that so if you'd like it just PM me your email address or contact him at the info from one of his earlier posts.:thumbsup:

Hi folks,

New here and I have a new to me 2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 with automatic transmission. I, like others, want it as a toad but can't get what I need to put in a "Neutral Tow Kit" for for flat towing. I've searched several sites and this seems to be the best and most informed I have found.

My question is, Does anyone still have the instructions needed to in stall the old Ford part #3L2Z-7H332-AA? I'm sure I can find an LED light and hook it up but the reprograming is another issue. Any help I can get would be appreciated because if I can't get it done I've got to find something else for a toad and I really don't want to. I've owned 2 Explores, 2 Rangers, drove a city owned Ranger for my work truck, and now have this nice clean 2010 Ranger. Our other car is 2019 Explorer Sport, I like my Fords.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi folks,

New here and I have a new to me 2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 with automatic transmission. I, like others, want it as a toad but can't get what I need to put in a "Neutral Tow Kit" for for flat towing. I've searched several sites and this seems to be the best and most informed I have found.

My question is, Does anyone still have the instructions needed to in stall the old Ford part #3L2Z-7H332-AA? I'm sure I can find an LED light and hook it up but the reprograming is another issue. Any help I can get would be appreciated because if I can't get it done I've got to find something else for a toad and I really don't want to. I've owned 2 Explores, 2 Rangers, drove a city owned Ranger for my work truck, and now have this nice clean 2010 Ranger. Our other car is 2019 Explorer Sport, I like my Fords.
I'm in the same boat. 2011 4x4 automatic. Good luck.

Back