• Register Today It's free!

Opinions?

Flip4ford

Reaction score
City, State
Newton, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Sport
I have a pretty decent rig right now-- but I have a few TTB issues. (My front passenger axle is rubbing on the upper rear of the TTB "housing" amoung others) I have a buddy going to Iraq and he offered to sell me his project ranger. Dana 44 high pinion front- 8.8 rear - both full width. High steer, ARB Lockers, 5:13 gears, every bell and whistle-- it has no motor or tranny.

I do some moderate wheeling, not a DD, but I do drive it to CO to do trails. I took it to Disney last weekend and did some harder stuff, but not radiacally extreme. Some of you wheeled with me @ krocks and know how I wheel (krocks is moderate) I have a stock 4.0, and 4:56 gears, M5OD, with stubbler and 33's. Probably go no bigger then 35' or 36's in the future.

So whatcha all think? Is it worth it to upgrade to Dana 44 SAS on a first gen? (The rear would be about the same.) Those of you that did the swap was it worth it? Is there that much more flex?

I am looking at quite a bit of $$$ for my budget so I wanted some input.

It probably would depend on how much you have into your existing setup and whether you want to go full width or not.

If you're not already set up with lockers and what not and want the wider stance, I'd say go for it. Both setups will flex quite well when setup correctly however a wider stance will add some to the amount of height you can place your tire up on a rock without it getting tippy.

Thanks Junkie. I guess I would get more flex, and vertical travel. I plan on wheeling in even tougher terrain. I guess when you have the "bug" where do you stop?

Back