Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

How to fix fuel line quick disconnect?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
buddy72
Colorado
98 XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How to fix fuel line quick disconnect?

Replacing fuel filter, forward end disconnected fine, but when the rear disconnected, these small pieces fell out:

1. blue o-ring
(as you can see it broke, but for sake of my question assume I can find a new one)
2. thin hard (metal or fiber) ring
3. 1/4" wide metal ring

3 is to the outside of the connector, if put in it looks like the good (forward) one.
1 would be after it
Can't see 2 on the good one, so it must be deepest inside.

So if I put them on the new filter like this

and shove it in (I can see the the "tabs" look okay) would that be okay?

Or , if this is ruined, what are my options? Looks like flex hose for less than a foot, then swaged onto metal fuel line. Could I cut off the end about 18" from a junkyard car's rear line, then connect (how ?) the metal lines? would I have to get the whole rear line (was getting dark so didn't even look to see how long/where it goes)?

TIA for any thoughts ...
buddy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
you are missing the lock in clip.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=429542

long link `

as for the o ring i think you can use any as long as the size matches. that ring will help hold the filter in the line, that is what locks it in.

what happens is that end piece is hard plastic over time it somehow gets stuck to the filter and pops out.
waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
buddy72
Colorado
98 XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
You answered so fast, I realized I had them on the filter nipple in reverse order. The photo is now correct.

I think the 'lock in clip" is what I meant by the "tabs" - they are still there, closest to the outside. But I'll try shoving it in like in the photo (with a new o-ring) but if that doesn't work I'll get the ones in your link.

Another question - with the new fuel filter I got 2 things which looked like these:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=429540

What are they for? Old filter didn't have anything like that.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
OneLever
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

You are missing the retaining spring which fits inside the end of the fuel line.

You can see how the parts are ordered in this one.

I would replace the o-ring with one made for fuel lines because all plastics might not resist gasoline the same. Below are links to the o-ring and retaining spring.

O-ring

Retaining spring

The two clips that came with your new fuel filter were likely intended to replace the metal retaining clips which slide over the disconnects because they tend to rust away. One of which is shown in the right side of both photos.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
buddy72
Colorado
98 XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Okay, here's the solution for me.

My locking clip was still inside and undamaged, so I didn't have to mess with that.

While moving the line, a second o-ring fell out.

So I put them all in this order on the filter nipple, deepest first:
o-ring
thin ring
o-ring
1/4" wide ring

In other words, if the second o-ring had not fallen out but remained inside, my photo above with the filter nipple with everything on it was correct.

Just shoved it in, had to play with it a little to get it in far enough to click in.

All fine now. Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
OneLever
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

Cool. Check that connection when it gets cold outside because the rubber will shrink a little and with that crack in the o-ring it could leak. That's how the Challenger went down.
OneLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
buddy72
Colorado
98 XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I used a new o-ring. Got the Dorman ones in your link, but got them at OReillys, only $6. I hope nobody ever considers using a broken o-ring.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page