• Register Today It's free!

My front end shakes above 65 MPH.

ImSpartacus

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
My 2000 Explorer XLS has all front end parts replaced, shakes uncontrollably at 65mph+ when a slight turn is made. I have to slow down to about 45 or so to stop it. I tried to post in help forum and it wouldn't let me. Can someone direct me to an answer to this or enable me to post my question? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have in the power steering system. There is a tool to bleed it out but you can try this. Start the car and turn the wheel all the way tothe left and hold there and then shut car off and let sit for like 15 minutes. If you open the reservoir you will see little air bubbles in the fluid.

Wheels balanced, system bled. Everythings been done. I've asked a few mechanics and that's what they said also, but I've driven it for awhile. This happened before, and went away for awhile. Now it's back, and most of the time.

Maybe you've got mud in your tyres ?

Sounds like a wheel balance issue, I hope you can get it fixed I cant see how people can drive vehicles like that. But they do.

I have an 02. Similiar problem.. Around 70, it starts to shake, also in turns at highway speeds (real bad in left turns) and under heavy braking. Tires are new, low profile, and balanced. Alignment is good. Pads and rotors are new. Does not seem to do it under slower driving conditions (IE-less than 50).

Addtl note: I was playing under it this past weekend, and it seems like the slack is coming from the rack and pinion.. I am ruling it out for now, because I dont want to replace it.. LOL.. Although I am almost certain it is the problem.

I have slack left to right, but nothing top to bottom.. :-/

Wheels are fine, recently balanced, rack & pinion new, brakes new. This doesn't happen at high speeds until you turn the wheel just slightly, or if you hit a rough patch or bumps in the road at high speed. Then the truck shakes a lot, until you slow down to around 5o or less, then it stops and trusk is ok again, until you turn wheel or hit more rough highway.

Have you checked your sway bar? It could be starting to go.

The mechanics at two Brake Checks said all the front end parts were ok, so that's why I'm asking others to see what they think. I'm going to another Brake Check to let them look again.

That's exactly what air in the system feels like. You may have some trapped somewhere or the pump is some how pulling it into the system.

I tried turning the steering wheel and holding it, then turning motor off and letting it sit awhile. No problems today, but this is what I did before, and it also worked for awhile. O think the rebuilt power steering pump is crapola, and I'll replace it soon. It might be letting air in somehow. Just what does holding the sttering wheel to one side do, in letting air escape from system?

I had this same problem and one of my wheels came out of balance and subsequently pulled my front end out of alignment over time.

same problem just started last night

i had to replace my fuel pump yeasterday and after working on it for about 6.5hrs my job decided to kick me off the property for "creating a safety hazard" and had to get towed home seeing as my fuel system wasnt working or even on the truck. After getting tow chained home i finished my fuel pump replacement and now i have a bad leak from my steering pump and dont know why seeing as i never hooked up the chain anywhere close to the steering pump it was around the frame behind the bumper bracket, can anyone give insight as to why my steering pump would go bad from being towed like this?

I am going to say its wheel bearings. I had an uncontrollable shake at 65 with bad bearings...changed inner and outer.....it went away

well talked to my mechanic

He told me because i moved the truck without it running caused back pressure to build in steering system and in return caused the fluid in the pump to squirt out of the cap to keep from bursting a line, he also said it happens alot when towed like i was and to just refill the pump and give it some time to work out the air that was drawn into the system hope this helps someone about to go refill and see what happens

hey mates...my 1999 ex shakes at 110mh and it is really annoying...had the wheels balanced, bearing changed, changed the tie rods, the control arms and ball joints and the shocks, it still shakes.... helppppppppppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeee

Make sure your wheel shop has a top-notch wheel balance machine that can actually tell you if the wheel is bent. My experience is that they will tell you they do, when they actually do not. Believe it or not, most tire shops have machines that only tell you if the wheel is extremely bent, when all it takes is a small amount to create a problem.

Also, you might try a completely new or different set of tires, preferably mounted on a different set of wheels.

I have been there . . . . . I replaced drive shafts, axles, ball joints, bearings, shocks, rotors and brakes, bushings . . . . everything. It wasn't until I swapped out 2 slightly bent wheels and all 4 tires when the problem went away.

Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back