Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

THEFT light flashing on 99 Explorer

Old 10-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
99EBEXP
Arizona, USA
99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
THEFT light flashing on 99 Explorer

Hi, all of a sudden a week or two ago the THEFT light started flashing in my 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer, when I was driving.

There are no issues other than the THEFT light flashing. The engine does not seem to be affected, no engine kill issues, no starting issues. I can start the car just fine.

I did have the fuel pump replaced recently, along with thermostat but I don't that that would be related to this.

The searches I did so far seem to indicate that the THEFT light blinking would kill the engine or prevent the SUV from starting. I have none of those issues.

Any clues on what the problem may be, or if I should ignore it if there are no other symptoms?
99EBEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Fireside3
Texas
2001 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Normally the PATS system would disable either your fuel pump, injectors, or the starter if there was a flashing theft light at all. Is it a rapid blink?

I have run my X with a flashing theft light but that was only by directly applying 12v to the fuel pump circuit and by passing the injectors using fuel line from the test port. I used to work as a locksmith, and we saw a lot shops replacing fuel pumps and starters on Fords, when the real issue was transponder key/transponder ring/PATS system problems. Many customer paid for a new pump or starter, only to find it was an issue with the keys or the transponder ring all along.

Possibly your column needs service. The transponder ring surrounds the ignition lock inside the column, and this ring sometimes fails or becomes intermittent due to wear or bad connection. This ring reads the code (resistance) of the passive wire wound coil that is inside your key head. Sometimes the plug on the key head comes off and the "chip" falls out, but this should cause a no start. This really doesn't sound like that though, as I can't give a good explanation for why the theft light would be flashing but still allow the vehicle to start at all...unless your PCM is having an identity crisis and is failing.

Does this truck have a remote start with an immobilizer by-pass? How many keys do you have for this truck? When you insert the key and turn to run position, does the PATS accept the key and turn the light out, or does it rapid flash before even starting it? In other words, does this condition only present after starting, or will the light rapid flash but still allow you to start the truck?

If this is coming up after you are already driving the vehicle, then you probably have an intermittent transponder halo (ring) or connection that is vibrating too much on the drive. You'd better get that checked before it leaves you stranded in a parking lot next time. I would still expect it to kill the engine, but perhaps your PATS uses starter interrupt rather than fuel delivery interrupt.
Fireside3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
99EBEXP
Arizona, USA
99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the info. I'll have it checked out. Yet another potentially expensive repair...after dumping $1600 into the SUV recently.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Fireside3
Texas
2001 Sport

Vehicle Specs

But you haven't answered one question. So, you just want to take a guess and start tearing things out?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
99EBEXP
Arizona, USA
99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside3 View Post
...Does this truck have a remote start with an immobilizer by-pass? How many keys do you have for this truck? When you insert the key and turn to run position, does the PATS accept the key and turn the light out, or does it rapid flash before even starting it? In other words, does this condition only present after starting, or will the light rapid flash but still allow you to start the truck?

If this is coming up after you are already driving the vehicle, then you probably have an intermittent transponder halo (ring) or connection that is vibrating too much on the drive. You'd better get that checked before it leaves you stranded in a parking lot next time. I would still expect it to kill the engine, but perhaps your PATS uses starter interrupt rather than fuel delivery interrupt.
Sorry I didn't know the answers right away.

There is no remote start. I have 2 factory keys, and PATS seems to accept it as I have always used the key and never have a problem starting.

This condition happens rarely, after starting, with the THEFT light doing regular blinking, not fast blinking (from what I recall).

So no easy answers and this might require more diagnosis.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Fireside3
Texas
2001 Sport

Vehicle Specs

PATS seems to accept it? If you insert the key, turn the ignition to "RUN" and the theft light goes from steady lit for 3 seconds to out...then it's accepted.

If your theft light flashes like 2-3 times a second or stays lit, then there is a PATS issue. Other than that, I don't know. There might be a PATS related trouble code there. Have you read the codes?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
99EBEXP
Arizona, USA
99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks. THEFT light does turn off, and I can start the car at any time. It only starts flashing after I have been driving for a while. I have not pulled any codes yet but that will be the next step.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Fireside3
Texas
2001 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EBEXP View Post
Thanks. THEFT light does turn off, and I can start the car at any time. It only starts flashing after I have been driving for a while. I have not pulled any codes yet but that will be the next step.
Just be mindful of the transponder halo surrounding the ignition switch and that this is a problem in some Fords. It can leave you stranded with a no-start at any time. When I worked as a locksmith up until about 2005, we saw a lot of no-starts due to transponder halo failure, and the people and their mechanics were beating their heads against a wall trying to figure out why a new starter or fuel pump didn't fix the issue. Mostly on the Ford Focus, which were total crap the first few years they made them, and Ford literally had to pay us to go around replacing those things for stranded people who owned a Focus. We did see Mustangs on occasion with the same issue, and every now and then an F-150 or Explorer.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

IF you flashing during the running is at the same "pace" as when your truck is "just sitting" (ie not on), then it is likely your truck has "lost" its "sense" that your key is in ON in terms of the PATS system only.... my uneducated guess. I would look at the wiring shematics at those areas to see where that is.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
99EBEXP
Arizona, USA
99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ok I found out what the issue is.

It turns out my battery was starting to wear out / die. Other symptoms I noticed was the garage remote on the visor was not transmitting as effectively, and the dash lights were dimmer.

Once I replaced the battery, all is well. There is no more THEFT light blinking, dash lights are bright, and the garage remote on the visor is working well again.

Pretty interesting that a weak battery can cause these symptoms. I guess the alternator alone does not provide sufficient power for all of the auxiliary systems.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
Fireside3
Texas
2001 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EBEXP View Post
Ok I found out what the issue is.

It turns out my battery was starting to wear out / die. Other symptoms I noticed was the garage remote on the visor was not transmitting as effectively, and the dash lights were dimmer.

Once I replaced the battery, all is well. There is no more THEFT light blinking, dash lights are bright, and the garage remote on the visor is working well again.

Pretty interesting that a weak battery can cause these symptoms. I guess the alternator alone does not provide sufficient power for all of the auxiliary systems.
no it doesn't. If you run too much shit, eventually the alternator can't keep up and you spend too much time discharging the battery. You wear it down enough times, and it fries a cell and won't hold a charge. That's why a lot of high electrical demand custom jobs require dual batt/alternator.

Still could be your alternator or something in the charging system if the new batt starts to degrade too soon.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page