Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Rear alignment question.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
JOHN62
new york
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Unhappy Rear alignment question.

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT (my third Explorer)
The alignment guy said my rear wheels were out of alignment and wore my tires unevenly from the inside. He told me my only option was to get two new tires and come back for a 4 wheel alignment.
Can't I just reverse the tires and let them wear evenly (they still had a lot of tread left). What could happen if I let it go for a while.
JOHN62 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Glen4X4
McClure, Pa.

Vehicle Specs

Welcome To The Forum! I do not know too much about 3rd gens but I wouldn't think the rear would be too adjustable, are your struts/shocks bad on it? And yes you can reverse the tires IF they're not rotational and IF they are then you would need to swap the way they are on the rims, but keep in mind while cornering you will be putting pressure on the outside still which is unsafe. But for the best alignment new tires are a must.

03 Silverado 1500 LS 4X4
Glen4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
NHarris
Ogden, UT
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum! Yes you can reverse the tires. Like Glen4X4 said about the corning is very true. The alignment and new tires are the best choice of the two options.

NHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN62 View Post
The alignment guy said my rear wheels were out of alignment and wore my tires unevenly from the inside. He told me my only option was to get two new tires and come back for a 4 wheel alignment.
Can't I just reverse the tires and let them wear evenly (they still had a lot of tread left). What could happen if I let it go for a while.
first thing first, jack up the rear tires, and check end play, are they lose falling off? the rear are tracking tires so they don't get edge wear.

see if you need something fixed in the rear, if everything is tight, you cant wiggle the wheel on the truck put tires on it, and then a 4 wheel alignment.

also those could of been front tires prior to a rotation and are shot. in any case, if you have 4x4 not 4x2 you need same 4 tires with about the same thread wear.
waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen4X4 View Post
..... I do not know too much about 3rd gens but I wouldn't think the rear would be too adjustable, ........
FYI, 3rd. gen. independent suspension has ALL KINDS of places where adjustment, or lack of it, due to worn bushings, bent parts, etc., can cause tire problems not seen on solid-axle rear ends like in the "old days". imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Glen4X4
McClure, Pa.

Vehicle Specs

That's why I said I don't know much about it. Eitherway for the most accurate alignment new tires are a must so the the vehicle sits right.

03 Silverado 1500 LS 4X4
Glen4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen4X4 View Post
That's why I said I don't know much about it. Eitherway for the most accurate alignment new tires are a must so the the vehicle sits right.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, but rather helpful. Agree, no point in doing alignment of suspension while sitting on "crooked" tires! imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
muzzymaniac
Kent, NY
04 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN62 View Post
What exactly do the worn tires look like?
Here's some help

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html
muzzymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page