Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

'92 Ford Explorer. Fan clutch replacement.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Candy.Kane86

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
'92 Ford Explorer. Fan clutch replacement.

I need help trying to replace my fan clutch for my 1992 Ford Explorer. I have to removal tool but not too sure where to go from there
Candy.Kane86 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 91-94 section. One tool holds the pulley while the other tool turns the shaft to unscrew it.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
trush1492
Harrisonburg, VA
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Start by removing the air intake and radiator. Should be pretty self explanatory from there.
trush1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
huntman58
Fremont calif.
2013 Dodge Advenger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No need to remove the radiator if you’re careful.
Just did that job as part of another one so let me try to list them. Also a manual like Chilton’s or such is a good thing to also have but here it gos.

1) Disconnect Battery neg cable for safety sake
2) Remove air intake tube.
3) Remove fan and fan clutch (to remove from truck you will also have to remove the two bolts that hold the fan shroud on. Once they are removed then left the fan, clutch and shroud together the fan and clutch will still be bolted together by the way)
4) Unbolt fan from fan clutch
5) Check fan for creaks and chips around its center hub and blades
6) Install is just the reversal
7) Being the battery was disconnected it’s also a good time to clean the MAF sensor just a thought.

There is no need to remove or loosen the fan belt when doing this job same with removing the radiator but if you want you can remove the radiator to give your self extra room but it is not needed just be careful and you will make less work for your self.
good luck its an easy job just remember the fan is normally a left hand threaded item just check your fan shroud as it will tell you on it what you have. If you get stuck just come back and ask
huntman58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page