Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
thebings

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise.

I have a '97 AWD explorer that has developed a loud banging noise coming from the front drive shaft or the transfer case. I removed the front shaft and the noise stopped (car is on lifts) however the shaft seems to be ok. The rubber boot is good and when I flex/rotate the joint, I don't feel any binding. Should I go ahead and replace the shaft or do you think the noise was coming from the transfer case. Like others have pointed out, the t-case is still turning even without the shaft attached, but it does not have any load on it. Appreciate any advise and help. Thanks
Don
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
swetrid
Reading Pa
2001 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
front driveshaft definitely

Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
A web site that sells the drive shaft says it is important to check the transfer case before installing a new shaft because a bad transfer case will destroy the new shaft. How would I check the transfer case?
Don
Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Joey P
On my 5th Explorer
Lakewood, CO

1999 Ford Explorer EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

does it happen only on acceleration? I had the same problem that happened only under acceleration and when I removed the shaft, it looked good, I replaced it and it ultimately ended up being the transfer case. I replaced the transfer case with a used one and I was good to go. I suspected the chain inside the AWD case was stretched out or something. How many miles on your vehicle?

Updated Mug shot 2/12/09
Joey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the reply Lil Bo Peep. No mine makes the banging during steady speed, slowing down, or accelerating. It will be really bad and then stop for a mile or two then start again. Turning into a drive way seems to make it worse. I have found a company that makes a repair kit for the CV, Rock Auto sells it for $102. I think I will install this kit and see what happens. Here is a link to the kit.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425736
Don
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions & transfer cases section.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Joey P
On my 5th Explorer
Lakewood, CO

1999 Ford Explorer EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Hmm. Yours is a 5.0 or a 4.0? Rebuilding the front drive shaft won't hurt either way. I'd check out the rear drive shaft too. Can you "feel" the banging sound under your feet when it happens? Around the location of the transfer case area? That kit you posted should be fine. Mine was a '96 5.0 and it had a different front drive shaft. It was a double cardan joint and not a cv on the front drive shaft.

Updated Mug shot 2/12/09
Joey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It is the 5.0 liter. The AWD with the CV joint was the only option with the V-8 in '97. With the vehicle on blocks and underneath, it sounded like and felt like it was coming from the front drive shaft. Using a stethscope, it was not over pronounced at the transfer case or the front differential. Yes I plan to change the universal joints on the front and rear axle. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
ponch68
San Antonio
'97 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Hope its the driveshaft, but I had the same issues with banging while accelerating, regardless of speed. My turned out to be the transfer case.
ponch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I took the CV joint apart today and found a cracked inner race and one ball with rough nicks. Still waiting for my CV repair kit, I will post again when I get it installed but will be next week sometime. Thanks for all your input.
Don
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Installed new CV joint today and happy to say it fixed the problem. The CV kit was good quality and easy to install.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
fast99f350
New Jersey
97 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

i have a question. What is the brown wire mod for the control tract?
fast99f350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Thanks for the update! Did you replace all of the CV joints or just the one that was damaged?
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
This was the CV joint on the aft end of the front drive shaft. The fwd end has a universal joint which I replaced. So I only replaced the one CV joint.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Explorer Junky
Grand Rapids, Mi
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebings View Post
Thanks for the reply Lil Bo Peep. No mine makes the banging during steady speed, slowing down, or accelerating. It will be really bad and then stop for a mile or two then start again. Turning into a drive way seems to make it worse. I have found a company that makes a repair kit for the CV, Rock Auto sells it for $102. I think I will install this kit and see what happens. Here is a link to the kit.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425736
Don
I tried to get to this link and all it does is show me a picture. Can you send me a better link that will let me see price and maybe order. Mine clunks when shifting into gear and maybe the clunking noise I hear when driving down bumpy gravel and dirt roads? Either way, its got 200,000 on it! My wheel hubs are original, could that be it also????
Explorer Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Here is the url to the mfg page.
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-34479-932-201.aspx
Don
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Tried to post a link to Rockauto where I bought mine but having trouble. Just go to rockauto.com and search for MFG name Dorman and part number 932201
Don
Old 11-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
Explorer Junky
Grand Rapids, Mi
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Thanks fellas! I just might have to order it this weekend. I got under there and grabbed the shaft by hand and gave it a good strong twist and it clanks, and clanks when shifting into gear. Also, had my reluctant wife ride with me and ask if she heard it on her side or mine and she said drivers. So, hope this is it. Then if that doesn't do it, then its the hub next!
Explorer Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
Thomsoningreen
Troutman, NC
1997 Explorer XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

orange CV rebuild anyone know how to put this together?

I have the said kit above but not sure how it goes together. Are the parts pressed together to assemble?
Thomsoningreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #20
thebings

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The domed end cover is a snug fit but not a pressed fit, it's just the gasket that holds it tight. I don't remember for sure but I think I held the bearing assemby by hand then tapped the end of the shaft (the end with the universal joint) on a piece of wood which broke loose this cover. Once the cover is removed, then you can remove the snap ring and pull off the bearing assembly. When I put the unit back into the vehicle, I tightened the bolts a little at a time to pull it back together straight. Hope this helps

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page