where to run wire through firewall in 2002 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where to run wire through firewall in 2002

kylecolb

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I need help locating where I can run a wire for my fog lights through the firewall. I do not want to drill. Anybody have pictures or can someone take pictures? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need help locating where I can run a wire for my fog lights through the firewall. I do not want to drill. Anybody have pictures or can someone take pictures? thanks.

I found a great path for running wires through the firewall on my '02 XLT that should provide you with plenty of room to run wire.:

This is the view from the engine compartment. The access is behind the brake booster. Look behind the brake booster and down and you will see it.

picture.php

This is the view from inside the Ex. Follow the brake pedal up to the firewall and look to the left. The red arrow points to the piece that you peel back and the black arrow points to the grommet:

picture.php

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

thanks for the pics. It reall helps for my project!!

No problem! Good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

I know this is a very old thread but you wouldn't still have those pictures by any chance? Thank you!

I will try to locate the pics.

It's ok you don't have to. I do appreciate it though. At this point I have to just take it in and let the shop in Green Bay do it since I am busy non stop till next Friday when I have surgery again. Thank you for looking though! This thread was the only one that possibly showed pictures as youtube videos out there didn't show much.

Mine for my subwoofer and light bar and future fog lights

F388459C-C29E-49E4-AF22-126E247A22F9.jpeg

It's ok you don't have to. I do appreciate it though. At this point I have to just take it in and let the shop in Green Bay do it since I am busy non stop till next Friday when I have surgery again. Thank you for looking though! This thread was the only one that possibly showed pictures as youtube videos out there didn't show much.

Didn't have the shop do it as they wanted waaaaay to much to do all of it but I managed to run all the wires under the carpet without any issues. I mounted both amplifiers along with the distribution blocks and wiring underneath the 3rd row seating area. Underneath that panel where there is some room. It worked perfectly I just had to pull the bolts off the back of the seats to lift them forward to run the wire, drill a 1" hole on each side in that plastic area to run the wires through, take off a few bolts that allowed me access to the front of that area to bolt the amplifiers in and it worked like a charm.

Before doing this, just slit a hole in that grommet and don’t just jam it out of the way and gob silicone on it.
What does that one thing lead to I don’t want to poke a hole if it needs vacuum or something

I ran my subwoofer's power supply line along side the parking brake cable.

If you're wiring your fog lights correctly (USING A RELAY!) you only need to run a single thin 16 gauge wire though the firewall, one that you will simply ground out with a switch to activate the relay and turn the lights on.

That’s just a grommet through the firewall. Just slit next to the cable, and everything will be fine. On one truck I used a core drill, the other inslit with a razor.

If you look to the left of the pedals, I believe there is a second grommet.

That’s just a grommet through the firewall. Just slit next to the cable, and everything will be fine. On one truck I used a core drill, the other inslit with a razor.

If you look to the left of the pedals, I believe there is a second grommet.
There's also one to the right of the pedal box, about 2 inches below the edge of the carpet.

Back